[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] status of QuarterDeck's X windows?

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (03/07/91)

so, what's up with this product? it's March now!

jham@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (John Ham) (03/07/91)

Vaporware - Is that surprising?  It seems to be the norm these
days.  jham@cs.umr.edu

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) (03/07/91)

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:

>so, what's up with this product? it's March now!

I checked QuarterDeck's forum on Compu$erve a few weeks ago
and one of Quarterdecks people had posted a message implying
a release date sometime in late summer. Bummer!

nomura@meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.061605.6166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) writes:
>hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>
>>so, what's up with this product? it's March now!
>
>I checked QuarterDeck's forum on Compu$erve a few weeks ago
>and one of Quarterdecks people had posted a message implying
>a release date sometime in late summer. Bummer!

I saw a demo of DesqView/X at Uniforum 91. The sales lady
said the price would be around $200. The demo was very
impressive.

  -------------------------------------
  Seiichi Nomura               Department of Mechanical Engineering
  $BLnB<Lw0l(J                     University of Texas at Arlington
  b460nom@utarlg.uta.edu       Arlington, Texas 76019-0023
  b460nom@utarlg.bitnet
  +1 817 273-2012 (press 2 for fax)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (03/07/91)

	Quarterdeck is demonstrating Desqview/X at this week's FOSE
exposition in Washington, DC. Very impressive. I was told to expect first
shipments in about two months, that it would run ~$300 with Quarterdeck's
window manager, with Open Look and Motif window managers optional (no price
given). First version will run (be supported?) with only a limited range of
TCP/IP software (e.g. FTP's).

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (King of Sunset Town) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.061605.6166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) writes:

>hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:

>>so, what's up with this product? it's March now!

>I checked QuarterDeck's forum on Compu$erve a few weeks ago
>and one of Quarterdecks people had posted a message implying
>a release date sometime in late summer. Bummer!

DesqView/X is shown/talked about in the Quarterdeck ad in the latest
Byte magazine, too.  I don't remember if they included a release date.

+-------------------+---------------------------+------------------+
|    Mark Dadgar    | 6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu | Bill & Opus -'92 |
+-------------------+---------------------------+------------------+
|   Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall?     |
|   Do you remember dawn escapes from moon-washed college halls?   |
|   Do you remember cherry blossoms in the market square?          |
|   Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair?         |
|   By the way, didn't I break your heart?                         |
|                                   - Marillion, 1985              |
+----------Would UCSB write anything this intelligent?-------------+

alewis@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (alewis) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.061605.6166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) writes:
>hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>
>>so, what's up with this product? it's March now!
>
>I checked QuarterDeck's forum on Compu$erve a few weeks ago
>and one of Quarterdecks people had posted a message implying
>a release date sometime in late summer. Bummer!

I just talked with a QuarterDeck salesman at the FOSE computer show in
DC today.  They had a neat working demo very similar to the pictures in
the brochures.  The release will be about two months from now.  I'm
looking forward to it but won't be holding my breath.

Alan  (:^|

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/09/91)

6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (King of Sunset Town) writes:

> DesqView/X is shown/talked about in the Quarterdeck ad in the latest
> Byte magazine, too.  I don't remember if they included a release date.

Market hype perhaps.  Ashton-Tate did a similar thing with dBASE IV for
*NIX, and it's not out of beta yet.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (03/10/91)

nomura@meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) writes:

> In article <1991Mar7.061605.6166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
> >hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
> >
> >>so, what's up with this product? it's March now!
> >
> >I checked QuarterDeck's forum on Compu$erve a few weeks ago
> >and one of Quarterdecks people had posted a message implying
> >a release date sometime in late summer. Bummer!
> >

> I saw a demo of DesqView/X at Uniforum 91. The sales lady
> said the price would be around $200. The demo was very
> impressive.

Wait...  Somebody posted yesterday(?) that it was going to be around $300
for a basic package.  I certainly hope that it doesn't cost more than
$200 retail.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary