[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SECURITY OF ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER

RPY653@MAINE.BITNET (03/08/91)

  I'm concerned about potential security problems with my Checkfree electronic
funds transfer account.  Other than bodily entering my home and using my
computer, or searching my desk, is there any other way that someone could
find out my code and access my account?  After reading Cliff Stoll's book*,
I assume there must be, and would like a more expert opinion.  *The Cuckoo's
Egg.     THanks, Lucy Quimby

campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (03/13/91)

--
Checkfree does know what your code is... presumably an unscrupulous employee
could "steal" this data.  And since they have the ability to initiate a funds

I suspect what you're REALLY worried about is that some hacker could phone
into Checkfree using YOUR access code (Checkfree w/o new phone company caller-
ID boxes probably doesn't know if the call actually originated from YOUR
computer or somebody else's.  They could perhaps imbed a serial number in
the software that you're unaware of - I don't know.)

But let's get more practical about this.  Assuming that they DO break all
security - say by reading your mind to discover your code, even use your
computer when you're away in an effort to legitimize the request, where will
they send the money they're stealing... it's not an ATM - it doesn't
print cash on your attached laser printer.

Wherever they send this EFT (usually an "electronic to check" draft) - it's
certainly traceable.

	-Tim

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks, just remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here.