[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Invalid COMMAND.COM message ...

brada@bardlover.Eng.Sun.COM (Brad Albom) (03/13/91)

I've got an IBM AT clone that I've just put together
for myself & it all seems to work fine except that
every so often, after completing an application,
like Quicken, instead of getting back my DOS prompt,
I'll get the Invalid COMMAND.COM message, need to re-boot.
After rebooting, everything is fine again. I've checked
my hard disks & there are only two copies of COMMAND.COM,
one in root & one in DOS, & I've compared them & they are
identical.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem ?

-brad a.

ndh@stl.stc.co.uk (Neale D Hind ) (03/13/91)

In the referenced article brada@bardlover.Eng.Sun.COM (Brad Albom) writes:
>every so often, after completing an application,
>I'll get the Invalid COMMAND.COM message, need to re-boot.
>After rebooting, everything is fine again. I've checked
>
>Any ideas on what might be causing this problem ?

I've seen this before together with a technical explanation that I can
no longer remember. I would guess you are running the application from
a batch file in which case you may be able to cure the problem by
inserting the line:

set comspec=%comspec%

immediately before the line in your batch file which runs the
application.

This certainly worked on my PC when it happened to me.

----
Neale D. Hind - (N.D.Hind@stl.stc.co.uk)