[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Digtized sound thru IBM speaker

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/12/91)

I have recently gotten some program that play MAC digital sound
through the regular ibm speaker (such as remac, sounder).  I am very
impressed with kind of quality this produces.  Does anyone have the
format for the sound files and the algorithm used for playing them?
I would appreciate any information.

Thanks
       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (03/13/91)

In article <4912@czech.sw.mcc.com>, daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:
%% I have recently gotten some program that play MAC digital sound
%% through the regular ibm speaker (such as remac, sounder).  I am very
%% impressed with kind of quality this produces.  Does anyone have the
%% format for the sound files and the algorithm used for playing them?

The format is a stream of unsigned bytes, ie. 00h is -amplitude and
FFh is +amplitude on the output. No header. You have to guess the
sampling frequency.

The method is described in some ftp-able docs/sources. Basically, you
change the mode of the timer which drives the speaker. The 8254 is in
mode 2 (rate generator) normally, and you put it in mode 1 (or maybe
mode 4 or 5) to make it issue variable length pulses. You arrange to
issue them regularly and can thus obtain a pulse width modulation. The
longer the pulses, the higher the mean output voltage will be. One
author spoke about achieving a 6 bit resolution this way.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/14/91)

In article <8365@chorus.fr> mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
> The method is described in some ftp-able docs/sources. Basically, you
> --

Do you (or anyone else) know which site these docs reside on.  Or if someone
has a copy, could they please mail it to me.