[net.followup] Cheap modems summary

rwu (02/25/83)

Here, at long last, is a slightly condensed summary of the replies
I received to my request for information on "cheap" 1200 baud modems.
Please accept my apologies for taking so long to get this out.

>From mkg Tue Nov 23 23:28:38 1982 EST remote from whuxlb
Here is some good stuff I got on a company called US Robotics.  Sounds
pretty good but I haven't seen one myself.
  Marsh Gosnell

U. S. Robotics of Chicago, Ill. is offering the following new modems:
MICRO LINK 1200 - originate/answer operation
RS232 interface
1 year limited warranty
phone line cable and power supply included
phone line interface via RJ11C standard jack
1200 baud, full duplex, Bell 212 compatible
self-test, analog loopback
5 LED indicators on front panel
size:9.5"x5.5"x1.6"; weight 2lbs
COST: $449 (for BTL cost is $314)
(Note: This modem as well as the ones listed next have the voice/data
switch as a button on the front of the panel rather than a separate
switch connected to the modem via a cable ala Penril, Prentice, etc.)

AUTO LINK 1200 - ALL of the features of the Micro link 1200 plus
Auto-answer and 9 LED indicators;
COST: $499 (for BTL cost is $349)
size:same as Micro link 1200

AUTO LINK 212A - Same as Auto Link 1200 except it also has 300
bps operation like a Bell 212A;
COST: $549 (for BTL cost is $384)
size:same as Auto link 1200

AUTO DIAL 212A - All of the features of the Auto Link 212A plus
it has auto-dial;
COST: $599 (for BTL cost is $505)
The address of U. S. Robotics is 1035 West Lake Str., Chicago, IL 60607.
Their telephone number is (312) 733-0497.
D. A. Dixon
ihuxs!dixon
IH x5730 (312) 979-5730

>From npoiv!harpo!ihps3!ihldt!wrv (Bill R. Vogel) Tue Oct  5 13:04:50 1982
Subject: New Modem Review
Newsgroups: net.periphs

    I recently bought A pair of modems with which I am very pleased,
    so I thought I would pass some information on to the net.

    The modems are made by U. S. Robotics, Inc. on
    Lake street in Chicago.  They are 1200 baud only, but
    fully 212 compatible (in 1200 bd mode).  The "Micro Link", is not
    auto-answer.  It has 5 LEDs	on the front panel, and its cost (quantity
    one) is $449.00.  The other is called "Auto Link", and auto answers.
	It has 9 LEDs and goes for $549.00.  Both modems are powererd by small
    wall transformers.  Both have a DIP switch which closes DTR to +14
	for strange modem cable configurations.  Both have a dip switch which
	electrically reverses pins 2&3 of the RS232 cable.  Both plug into
	standard RJ11 type (modular) phone jack.

    Most important of all, they were delivered promptly, worked
    immediately upon plugging them in, and have been working
    perfectly ever since.  We have no complaints.  We use the
    "Auto Link" as a dial-up on our small 11/23, the other is used
    with a remote terminal.  I would recommend these modems to anyone.

                      -Bill Vogel                ...ihnss!ihldt!wrv
                       Bell Labs, Indian Hill    ...ihps3!ihldt!wrv

>From wolit Wed Nov 24 09:22 EST 1982 remote from rabbit
To: whuxlb!rwu harpo!rwu
Subj: cheap 1200 baud modem

Universal Data Systems' UDS-212LP is a 1200-baud-only, 212A-compatible modem
that sells for $445.  It is extremely simple to use:  has one switch
(data/talk) and an on-line light in front, two modular phone jacks
(one to the phone line in the wall, the other to the telephone
set) and an RS-232 D-connector in back.  The modem is powered from the
phone line, so needs no transformer (or any other power connection),
and is usable with a plain old telephone.  It's also very small (6"w x
9.25"l x 1.25"h).  About a zillion times more cost-effective than
renting a 212A from You-Know-Who.
We've purchased about half a dozen so far;  all have worked right out of the
box.
Available locally from Technimat, 500 Grand Ave, Englewood, NJ 07631.
	Jan Wolitzky, BTL MH x2998 rabbit!wolit

I just saw an ad for a 1200 baud modem for $550 that includes auto-dial and
auto answer, loop-test and 10 LED display.

		Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
		82 Second Ave. SE
		New Brighton, MN 55112
	Phone:	(612) 631-3550

>From ihnss!stevenso Wed Nov 24 13:36:43 1982 remote from harpo
from ihnss!stevenso
to harpo!rwn
subj cheap modems

I've just acquired an Incomm A-212A 300/1200 modem (Incomm is based in
Wheeling IL). As the name implies it is a Bell 212 compatable modem. I
haven't had an opportunity to use it much yet , but it seems OK.
The price was about $350 which is pretty good for what you get.

Dan Stevenson
IH x4478
Date: Thu Nov 25 17:28:47 1982
To: utzoo!decvax!harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu
Subject: modem

	Try novation inc (213)996-5060
400513	212 module	$395
490278	FCC certified phone line interface $99

		bill

>From harpo!floyd!forbin Wed Nov 24 15:22:01 1982 remote from zeppo
To: harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu
Subject: Modems

I hear tell that there is an outfit in Dover which has bought up
a bunch of WECo 212-Ar modems from a weco manufacturing facility and
is selling them cheap (<200). thename of the place is SEEK electronics
(Surplus electronic equipment and komponents) and is on king st (?) in dover
N.J.

					brian rich
					floyd!forbin

Date: 28-Nov-1982 14:09:31-PST (Sun)
Subject: Re:  cheap 1200 baud modems?
To: sdcarl!sdcattb!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu

take a look at the dc-hayes smartmodem.

>From harpo!npois!npoiv!hou5f!hou5d!dmk Tue Nov 30 12:16:46 1982 remote from zeppo
I recently saw a $600 (single quantity) 1200 baud direct connect modem
in one of those computer supply house catalogs (Inmac, etc) but don't
remember which catalog.  It had a modular plug and used the +48V supply
from the telephone line . (No line cord to plug in.)

That's the cheapest 212 compatable modem that I've seen.

			Dave Kahn
			Bell Labs, Holmdel x7026