[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WINDOWS 3.0 On a 80286?

seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) (03/13/91)

  I just encountered something very distressing in Compute! magazine. The
article says that I CANNOT multitask with Windows 3.0 on a 80286? I
wanted to be able to run my BBS in the backround, and other applications
in the foreground. This WILL NOT work? I have 9 megs of RAM, and 150 megs
of storage, on a 12 MHz AT......

   Please, Someone tell me this isn't true!!

Sean
_______
Sean Petty - Somewhere in Pennsylvania

                -- Mark Twain

UUCP Bang!: uunet!undrground!seanp               Domain: seanp@undrground.UUCP
INTERNET: undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com    ICBM: 39.58.75'N   75.39.9'W

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (03/13/91)

In article <FD7Py1w163w@undrground.UUCP>, undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) writes:
%%   I just encountered something very distressing in Compute! magazine. The
%% article says that I CANNOT multitask with Windows 3.0 on a 80286? I
%% wanted to be able to run my BBS in the backround, and other applications
%% in the foreground. This WILL NOT work? I have 9 megs of RAM, and 150 megs
%% of storage, on a 12 MHz AT......

You really added some much RAM and a such big disk to a 286 ?
You should figure in the Guiness records book!

On a 286 you can multitask Windows applications (if they are properly
written) and switch between several DOS applications. When you switch
to the Windows desktop, they are all frozen.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

blowfish@triton.unm.edu (rON.) (03/14/91)

In article <FD7Py1w163w@undrground.UUCP> undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) writes:
>  I just encountered something very distressing in Compute! magazine. The
>article says that I CANNOT multitask with Windows 3.0 on a 80286? I
>wanted to be able to run my BBS in the backround, and other applications
>in the foreground. This WILL NOT work? I have 9 megs of RAM, and 150 megs
>of storage, on a 12 MHz AT......
>Sean

Doesn't matter how much memory you've got- it goes as follows:
Minimum 8086 and 640K to run in 'real' mode
Minimum 80286 and 1Mb to run in 'standard' mode
Minimum 80386 and 2Mb to run in 'extended' mode
(extended is also called '386 enhanced' mode)

Multi tasking of non-wondows applications with windows applications requires
extended mode.
(note: its not >real< multi-tasking, just a cheap time-slicing technique)
You should be able to multi-task multiple windows only applications in
standard mode.

rON. (blowfish@triton.unm.edu!ariel.unm.edu)
"It is only with the heart that one see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye."

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (03/14/91)

undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) writes:

>   I just encountered something very distressing in Compute! magazine. The
> article says that I CANNOT multitask with Windows 3.0 on a 80286? I
> wanted to be able to run my BBS in the backround, and other applications
> in the foreground. This WILL NOT work? I have 9 megs of RAM, and 150 megs
> of storage, on a 12 MHz AT......
>

>    Please, Someone tell me this isn't true!!
>

> Sean

Even if you could do it, you wouldn't want to.  Get Desqview 2.3.  It'll
do a better job (FASTER! MORE COMPATIBILTY!), and since you're going to
be using the com port, you'll need all the speed you can get, unless you
have a FIFO buffered UART.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
      \   U   /
       "-----"

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (03/14/91)

Fear not it is possible to multi-task however you ain't gonna be able to run
the DOS box cos command.com can't cope.

Cheers,Dan