[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Installing chips

streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar11.025410.24083@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>I posted this since there is usefull information for everyone in my reply.

>Did you take proper precautions when installing it:

>Were the computer and any peripherals (monitor, printer, modem) UNPLUGGED?

If you mean that the computer power should have been UNPLUGGED from
the wall, this is NOT a good idea when installing chips.  Unless you
are working on the power supply itself, you should NOT install chips
into an unplugged computer.  The computer should be TURNED OFF, but
NOT unplugged!  The power plug/cord is what grounds the computer.
When the computer is not grounded, one is just further increasing the
possibility of static discharges ruining the chips being installed.
The computer should be plugged in, turned off, and the wrist grounding
strap connected to the computer's power supply chassis (grounded).  An
anti-static mat should be used to hold componentry not in the
computer.

>Note: (this is not a commercial) When I install hardware for a client,
>I give a five day warranty against my damaging the existing equipment.

A good thing for your customers -- one of these days installing chips
into an unplugged computer might cost you a few cents...

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (03/13/91)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) /  6:05 am  Mar 11, 1991 /

>If you mean that the computer power should have been UNPLUGGED from
>the wall, this is NOT a good idea when installing chips.

Yes it is, even if you're not working on the power supply.  You should
unplug the computer and then ground the chassis.

>A good thing for your customers -- one of these days installing chips
>into an unplugged computer might cost you a few cents...

Someone may take your advice, and get a very nasty shock/burn someday.

Scott Linn

bcc@Eyring.COM (Brian Cooper) (03/15/91)

In article <25730003@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) writes:
>/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / streeter@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter) /  6:05 am  Mar 11, 1991 /
>
>>If you mean that the computer power should have been UNPLUGGED from
>>the wall, this is NOT a good idea when installing chips.
>
>Yes it is, even if you're not working on the power supply.  You should
>unplug the computer and then ground the chassis.
>
>>A good thing for your customers -- one of these days installing chips
>>into an unplugged computer might cost you a few cents...
>
>Someone may take your advice, and get a very nasty shock/burn someday.

I agree that you should unplug your computer.  Some brain-damaged engineer
elected to switch the NEUTRAL line in the Atari ST, so turning off the power
leaves all sorts of nasty voltages available inside.  While working inside
one I got a shock, which had no after effects, but also fried six or seven
expensive chips and damaged an inner trace in the mother board as well.  I
was without the use of the machine for MONTHS.  I will unplug the machine
before working in it, you can bet!