[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Date past 2000?

DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu (03/15/91)

This is a little early to talk about this, but I would like to know if there is
any program out there that would allow setting dates past 2000.  I have tried
setting it in the past a while ago and was unable to.  My Comp Sci professor
told me it is possible to have a date past 2000, but it was not possible to
set it past 2000.  Is this true?  If anyone has a program to do this, please
post it.  Also, an algorithm or source in any language.  What is the largest
date possible in a pc?  Will IBM expand DOS to allow for later dates?  I
personally would prefer a small external command, something like DDATE, that
would do it without reconfiguring the system.  Again, this is a little early,
but it's only 9 years away.

Dan Harter
Senior-Aerospace Engineering        NCAA Final Round:  Penn St. vs. UNLV
Pennsylvania State University                       Penn St. 95, UNLV 93!
DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/15/91)

In article <91073.143037DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu> DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>This is a little early to talk about this, but I would like to know if there is
>any program out there that would allow setting dates past 2000.  I have tried
>setting it in the past a while ago and was unable to.  My Comp Sci professor
>told me it is possible to have a date past 2000, but it was not possible to
>set it past 2000.  Is this true?  If anyone has a program to do this, please
:

There may be a confusion here.  MsDos uses 80-99 for 1980-1990, and 0-79
for 2000-2079.  Try the date command, and/or whatever your PC user
for updatating your real time clock.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (03/15/91)

In article <91073.143037DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu> DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>  I have tried
>setting it in the past a while ago and was unable to.  My Comp Sci professor
>told me it is possible to have a date past 2000, but it was not possible to
>set it past 2000.

   Huh? At least the version of DOS I'm using supports dates into the
next century:

	D:\TEMP>ver

	MS-DOS Version 3.30

	D:\TEMP>date
	Current date is Fri  3-15-1991
	Enter new date (mm-dd-yy): 3-15-2001

	D:\TEMP>date
	Current date is Thu  3-15-2001
	Enter new date (mm-dd-yy): 3-15-1991

You are welcome to experiment to discover just how far into the 21st
century this works.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics