[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] QEMM386 Problem - Not related to windows

cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Christopher Gaeth) (03/14/91)

Hello again netters,

      Thanks again to who have responded to my numerous questions.  I
have yet another one.

      I put a new video card in my system and it conflicted with
QEMM386.sys causing the machine to lock up.  I booted from my back up
boot disk and stripped all the QEMM stuff out of the config.sys and
autoexec.bat and rebooted my system , no problem.  So then I re-installed
QEMM using the defualt setting and know I get almost all the way through
the boot up and I get this "Bad or Missing Command Interpreter".  Well
according to my dos manual this means that it can't find command.com.  But
if I take QEMM386.sys out of my config.sys I have no problem.  Does anyone
have any suggestions?  I'm throughly lost.  Please post here or e-mail direct.

Thanks

Chris Gaeth                     |  My opinions are my own Tues-Thurs.  The
P.O. Box 260                    |  rest of the week I'm not responsible.
Belcamp, MD. 21017-0260         |
(301) 278-6395                  |
cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil       |

a_rubin@dn71.css.beckman.com (Arthur Rubin) (03/14/91)

In <774@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil> cgaeth@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Christopher Gaeth) writes:
>Hello again netters,

>      Thanks again to who have responded to my numerous questions.  I
>have yet another one.

>      I put a new video card in my system and it conflicted with
>QEMM386.sys causing the machine to lock up.  I booted from my back up
>boot disk and stripped all the QEMM stuff out of the config.sys and
>autoexec.bat and rebooted my system , no problem.  So then I re-installed
>QEMM using the defualt setting and know I get almost all the way through
>the boot up and I get this "Bad or Missing Command Interpreter".  Well
>according to my dos manual this means that it can't find command.com.  But
>if I take QEMM386.sys out of my config.sys I have no problem.  Does anyone
>have any suggestions?  I'm throughly lost.  Please post here or e-mail direct.

I suspect your video card has it's own RAM, which QEMM386 doesn't recognize.
Video ROM/RAM is usually located around C000 (from my experience -- your mileage
may vary.).  Try "EXCLUDE=C000-C3FF" or "ADAPTERRRAM=C000-C3FF".

>Thank you.

You're welcome.
a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com              .signature file under construction

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (03/15/91)

QEMM may be grabbing the memory area c000-CFFF that your video card is using.
Add the following to your config.sys:

          device=qemm386.sys adapterram=(address to be omitted)

This is assuming you put qemm386.sys in the root dir of your boot HD.  Other wi
se just add the necessary sub-dir prefix.  This problem usually happens if you
have the RAM option active to use high ram area.  Also, if you don't want to lo
ad your video ROM into high ram for increased performance, add NOVIDEOFILL.
    Or rerun the install of your qemm and answer the questions so it'll auto se
t all the feature correctly for you.

                                               A.P.

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (03/15/91)

Use MANIFEST that was supplied with your QEMM.  Boot your computer without
Then you can provide the proper addresses for QEMM to exclude them.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
Maynard, MA

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (03/16/91)

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>...Also, if you don't want to load your video ROM into high ram for
>increased performance, add NOVIDEOFILL.

More correctly: if you don't want to map memory into unused video ram
addresses on non-ega or non-vga systems to increase the conventional
ram available, add NOVIDEOFILL.  The ROM parameter is what determines
whether video rom is shadowed or not.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato