[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] BUYERS! Beware Jason Galanter!

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (03/11/91)

I posted this since there is usefull information for everyone in my reply.

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:

>The above-named person, Jason Galanter (n3hnr@hpb.cis.pitt.edu) has
>posted several ads to the net regarding computer items for sale.
>
>I unfortunately bought an 80287 coprocessor from him which turned
>out to be not exactly as advertised.  He advertised an 80287-12,
>and shipped the CMOS part- 80C287-12...which prevents my computer
>from booting up.

You may be the first person in the world to have this problem.  The 80c287
is a CMOS 80287. The only difference is the NMOS (80287) uses about 10 times
the power as the CMOS.  Either there is a problem with your computer, the
chip is defective, or it is in upside down.  I've had that happen to me with
poorly marked mother boards. When I say upside down, I mean the high numbered
pins where you want pin 1, not with the pins pointing up.

The CMOS chip (80c287) was designed for laptops. The NMOS version uses
about as much power as the rest of the laptop, but they are interchangeable
with the CMOS version.

The CMOS ones are much more expensive, I think he gave you a bargain.

>After having discussed this with him many times (with a fair
>amount of indignation on his part I might add) he begrudgingly
>agreed to try and find me the correct part.  Notable was his lack
>of interest in simply refunding my money.  After making enough
>phone calls to pay 50% of what I paid him for the part, it is
>apparent that he now does not return my calls.

I personaly would not sell chips (or buy them) over the net because there
are too many things to go wrong after shipping them.  But I don't think that
he is unreasonable in not refunding your money. If you did not know that an
80c287 was pin compatable with the 80287, you should not have put it in the
machine.

He did not sell it to you to "experiment" with. I think that there is just as
much of a chance that you "blew" the chip as it was defective in the first
place.

Did you take proper precautions when installing it:

Was it always in the proctecive foam when not in the socket?

Did you use a ground strap on your wrist?

Were the computer and any peripherals (monitor, printer, modem) UNPLUGGED?

I'm not being anal, I'm merely stating the precautions that are necessary
when handeling chips.

This is a case where what seemed simple was not.

I always buy chips from reputable suppliers who provide warranties.
No questions asked warranties.  That way we both are covered.

>This unit was unfortunately purchased for a good friend that needs
>it to run a software program that she is going to take a class
>for.  She is distraught because she cannot take that class now.

I know you are argry, but give the guy a chance.  He sold it to you in good
faith.

Next time, instead of trying to be an "expert", pay the extra bucks and
hire one.

Note: (this is not a commercial) When I install hardware for a client,
I give a five day warranty against my damaging the existing equipment.
Or in plain english: they have five days to make sure I didn't break
something.

|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|
|          WANTED:  PAL VIDEO TAPES (VHS or BETA) inquire within.          |
|                  Especialy "missing" Dr Who Episodes.                    |

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (03/14/91)

Please see the continuation of this thread, and my reply, in
misc.forsale.

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{ucsfcca,hoptoad,well}!wet!pk

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar11.025410.24083@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

>I posted this since there is usefull information for everyone in my reply.
>

>pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:
>>
>>The above-named person, Jason Galanter (n3hnr@hpb.cis.pitt.edu) has
>>posted several ads to the net regarding computer items for sale.
>>
>>I unfortunately bought an 80287 coprocessor from him which turned
>>out to be not exactly as advertised.  He advertised an 80287-12,
>>and shipped the CMOS part- 80C287-12...which prevents my computer
>>from booting up.
>>

>You may be the first person in the world to have this problem.  The 80c287
>is a CMOS 80287. The only difference is the NMOS (80287) uses about 10 times
>the power as the CMOS.  Either there is a problem with your computer, the
>chip is defective, or it is in upside down.  I've had that happen to me with
>poorly marked mother boards. When I say upside down, I mean the high numbered
>pins where you want pin 1, not with the pins pointing up.

[stuff deleted]

I found this reply to be insulting especially since the information is
inaccurate. The Intel 80C287 is NOT a CMOS 80287. It uses the 80387 core
with an interface compatible to the 80287. Although it is possible to design
a board to accept either the 80C287 or 80287, one that is not designed
with both parts in mind will likely not work. Differences include no
connect pins being changed to power and ground pins in the C287 and the
clock divider being changed to divide by 2 instead of divide by 3.

Mike Ching

fbco350w@shine7.uwaterloo.ca (Jack ThE mAnIaC) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar14.214510.2471@amd.com> ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes:
>In article <1991Mar11.025410.24083@gsm001.uucp> gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>
>>You may be the first person in the world to have this problem.  The 80c287
>>is a CMOS 80287. Stuff deleted...
>
>I found this reply to be insulting especially since the information is
>inaccurate. The Intel 80C287 is NOT a CMOS 80287. It uses the 80387 core
>with an interface compatible to the 80287. Although it is possible to design
>a board to accept either the 80C287 or 80287, one that is not designed
>with both parts in mind will likely not work. Differences include no
>connect pins being changed to power and ground pins in the C287 and the
>clock divider being changed to divide by 2 instead of divide by 3.
>
>Mike Ching

Well, Mike what do you have for sale? Nothing?? Then use net mail, not
postings! I can't verify what you claim, but who really cares?
That's `R', in case you have a unix type system.

FOR SALE:
	Boss, DR-550 Drum machine.
	48 sounds, 128 patterns, 8 songs (chainable)
	very compact, and great for small acoustic performances.
	Best offer.