[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] COMMAND.COM patch for environment - I'm not kidding!!!!!

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (03/15/91)

About two weeks ago, I asked for a patch from PC-DOS 4.01's COMMAND.COM
to allow a larger default environment.  However, much to my dismay, all
I got was replies from a dozen idiots telling me to use the command-line
switch.

If the command-line switch worked, I would have used it!!!  Do you think I'm
stupid enough to not know about the /E:nnn switch??!?!?!?!?  Now please,
could someone post or email the PATCH.  PATCH!!!! PATCH!!!!  NO SWITCHES!!!!
Geez.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Truth is after all a moving target                          a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Hairs to split, and pieces that don't fit        Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
How can anybody be enlightened                   Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
Truth is after all so poorly lit        -- Rush

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/15/91)

In article <2860@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:

> About two weeks ago, I asked for a patch from PC-DOS 4.01's COMMAND.COM
> to allow a larger default environment.  However, much to my dismay, all
> I got was replies from a dozen idiots telling me to use the command-line
> switch.
>
> If the command-line switch worked, I would have used it!!!  Do you think I'm
> stupid enough to not know about the /E:nnn switch??!?!?!?!?  Now please,
> could someone post or email the PATCH.  PATCH!!!! PATCH!!!!  NO SWITCHES!!!!
> Geez.

I'm glad there are people out there, like you, who appreciate it when other
people try to help them.  Remember, the people who replied to you tried to
be helpfull.  And for that you call them idiots?  So far I can only see one
idiot here.  The people on the net don't work for you and owe you absolutely
nothing.  So if you didn't make your request clear enough, that's your fault.
So if you want help and discussion, use this news group, but if you want
someone to abuse, hire a maid (no disrespect to maids intended).

       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (03/16/91)

In article <2860@sparko.gwu.edu>, timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) says:

>If the command-line switch worked, I would have used it!!!  Do you think I'm
>stupid enough to not know about the /E:nnn switch??!?!?!?!?  .......

How are we supposed to know how stupid you are?

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/16/91)

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:

> About two weeks ago, I asked for a patch from PC-DOS 4.01's COMMAND.COM
> to allow a larger default environment.  However, much to my dismay, all
> I got was replies from a dozen idiots telling me to use the command-line
> switch.

For DOS 4.0, and maybe 4.01...

debug command.com
-e 3C2A 20
-w
-Q

Before you do this, dump offset 3C2A and see if it returns OAh.  If so,
the patch should work.  Subsituting 2F for 20 in the above patch should
yield 752-bytes of environment (DROP THE TRAILING 0 FROM 02F0h).

This information is liberally stolen from the latest issue of PC MAGAZINE,
March 26, 1991, page 390.  I'd suggest looking at a copy and check this
over, to make sure I didn't miss something drastic.

The other offsets for various versions of DOS:

2.0 - 0BCF
2.1 - 0BCF
3.0 - 0F2C
3.1 - 0D11
3.2 - 0D4F
3.3 - 0EB8

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

traub@rtf.bt.co.uk (Michael Traub) (03/18/91)

In article <4934@czech.sw.mcc.com> daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:
>In article <2860@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
>>
>> If the command-line switch worked, I would have used it!!!  Do you think I'm
>> stupid enough to not know about the /E:nnn switch??!?!?!?!?  Now please,
>> could someone post or email the PATCH.  PATCH!!!! PATCH!!!!  NO SWITCHES!!!!
>> Geez.
>
>I'm glad there are people out there, like you, who appreciate it when other
>people try to help them.  Remember, the people who replied to you tried to
>be helpfull.  And for that you call them idiots?  So far I can only see one
>idiot here.  The people on the net don't work for you and owe you absolutely
>nothing.  So if you didn't make your request clear enough, that's your fault.
>So if you want help and discussion, use this news group, but if you want
>someone to abuse, hire a maid (no disrespect to maids intended).

Perhaps the highly intelligent audience out there are unable to read the
questions before replying?

Michael Traub
BT Customer Systems, Brighton Systems Centre. traub@rtf.bt.co.uk