[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Mac/PC graphics standard?

jl2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared Timothy Leinbach) (02/26/91)

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is a graphics file format that is a standard
in both the Mac and PC worlds.  If there is no such format (as I suspect) are
there 2 that are particularly similar (i.e, easy and *fast* to translate from
one to the other)?  I am interested in setting up a graphic image 'archive'
for a group that contains both Mac and PC users.  I know that there are systems
that allow both types of users to share the same disk (where the archive will
be stored) but I'm not sure if I can get away with a single file per image that
both types of users will be able to view using off-the-shelf software.  Keeping
images in a format suited for one type of user and translating on the fly for
the other type is a possibility only if the translation can be done quickly.
Keeping two versions of each image is what I am trying to avoid, for obvious
storage space reasons.
  *ANY* ideas/pointers/etc. at all will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance for responses.

Jared Leinbach

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (02/27/91)

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to find out if there is a graphics file format that is a standard
>in both the Mac and PC worlds.

How about GIFF?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (03/01/91)

In article <YbmcJoC00WB4ECCp5E@andrew.cmu.edu> jl2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared Timothy Leinbach) writes:
" I'm trying to find out if there is a graphics file format that is a
" standard in both the Mac and PC worlds.  If there is no such format (as
" I suspect) are

Check with MacroMind; they've been spearheading an effort to design a
cross platform animation file. I believe the person to ask for is Geoff
Brown.  415/442-0200.
--

"Common sense isn't"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez     julian@riacs.edu

tc1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Lawrence Cignetti) (03/18/91)

Jared,

TIFF, is a standard that is recognized for both Macs and IBM's.  If the
images are in color, I think GIF, might be the way to go.  TIFF is a
standard accepted mostly by desktop publishing companies.  It was
designed by Aldus, and several other companies to be a standard for
desktop pubilishing.  The developers made the source code for reading,
writing, and compressing images public domain, so any vendor could
easily make his application read and write TIFF files.  It definitely
works on IBM's and Mac's.  I know that it works well for B&W and
grayscale images, but I've never used it with color, so I'm not sure.

-Todd

In article <gbt5Btq00WBKA2dp92@andrew.cmu.edu> tc1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Lawrence Cignetti) writes:

>Jared,
>
>TIFF, is a standard that is recognized for both Macs and IBM's.  If the
>images are in color, I think GIF, might be the way to go.  TIFF is a
Unfortunately TIFF isn't so much a standard format as a standard wrapper.
I have maybe a dozen Mac programs that read TIFF, and some of them can
read each other's files and some cannot.  I have two or three Unix
programs that can read TIFF too, and some of them are compatible and
some aren't.  There's no real telling.  There are some TIFF formats
which are more common than others, but in general it's a real mess.
I'd go for GIF, except that it's limited to 8bit images.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Doctor FORTRAN) (03/20/91)

In article <gbt5Btq00WBKA2dp92@andrew.cmu.edu>, tc1n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd Lawrence Cignetti) writes...
-
-Jared,
-
-TIFF, is a standard that is recognized for both Macs and IBM's.  If the
-images are in color, I think GIF, might be the way to go.  TIFF is a
-standard accepted mostly by desktop publishing companies.  It was
-designed by Aldus, and several other companies to be a standard for
-desktop pubilishing.  The developers made the source code for reading,
-writing, and compressing images public domain, so any vendor could
-easily make his application read and write TIFF files.  It definitely
-works on IBM's and Mac's.  I know that it works well for B&W and
-grayscale images, but I've never used it with color, so I'm not sure.
-
--Todd

TIFF (5.0 and above) is also for color images as well. It's fairly easy to
write TIFF, but more difficult to read TIFF in the most robust, general way,
because of the richness of what's available.

For example: The picture may be broken up into several strips, the ordering of
the strips in the file can be arbitrary, these strips do not need to be
contiguous in the file (there can be superfluous bytes in the file, presumably
to "word align" the strips), your color image can be pixel, line, or frame
interleaved, etc., etc., etc. . . .

If you just want to write files, or read files that you've written yourself,
you might want to consider using a subset of TIFF.

C === This subroutine will write a signature at the end of a posting.

      Subroutine Signature
      Write (*, 101)
  101 Format (1H1, 'Doctor FORTRAN', /, ' Master of the Realm', /,
     1            ' Reply: jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu')

      Return
      End