[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] CONFIG.SYS batch language anyone?

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (03/16/91)

     There are times when I have drivers in my config.sys file that I need,
and other times when I don't need those files and would like the extra
memory.  Is there any 'batch language' for config.sys, or some means of
telling the computer what file to use as config.sys when it boots up?
     This way I could have different configurations in different files,
and have the computer prompt me for which one I want to use when I boot up.
     I'm using DOS 4.01.

                                                            [Tim]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/17/91)

In article <91074.161526F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     There are times when I have drivers in my config.sys file that I need,
>and other times when I don't need those files and would like the extra
>memory.  Is there any 'batch language' for config.sys, or some means of
>telling the computer what file to use as config.sys when it boots up?
>     This way I could have different configurations in different files,
>and have the computer prompt me for which one I want to use when I boot up.
>     I'm using DOS 4.01.

See the bootutil directory in the /pc/INDEX file list of
garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives for several alternatives at
bootup time.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/17/91)

In article <91074.161526F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     There are times when I have drivers in my config.sys file that I need,
>and other times when I don't need those files and would like the extra
>memory.  Is there any 'batch language' for config.sys, or some means of
>telling the computer what file to use as config.sys when it boots up?
>     This way I could have different configurations in different files,
>and have the computer prompt me for which one I want to use when I boot up.
>     I'm using DOS 4.01.

AUTOCON.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Reboot with different AUTOEXEC/CONFIG
BOOT11.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Pick your CONFIG from a menu, and reboot
BOOT127.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> BOOT.SYS 1.27: Change config while booting
CAM10.ZIP    PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT file manager, v1.0
CONFIG10.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Use multiple CONFIG.SYS files at will
DYNBOT11.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Reboot with different AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS
EDCONFIG.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Device driver for point and shoot CONFIG.SYS
FASTS101.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Edit/select AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS on bootup
REBOOT13.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Switch CONFIG.SYS and auto reboot
RECFG32.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Select up to 20 AUTOEXEC/CONFIG.SYS on bootup
RECON23.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Manage various AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS
RECONFIG.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> Use multiple CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files

These are all available at:
New Mexico:  simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory listed above
                                           (PDx:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )
Missouri:    wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx
Australia:   sol.deakin.oz.au (128.184.1.1) in pub/PC/simtel-20/xxxxx

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I

(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  Internet users should
        use BITNET domain addresses such as TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET)

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

sjs@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu (03/20/91)

In article <91074.161526F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>      There are times when I have drivers in my config.sys file that I need,
> and other times when I don't need those files and would like the extra
> memory.  Is there any 'batch language' for config.sys, or some means of
> telling the computer what file to use as config.sys when it boots up?
>      This way I could have different configurations in different files,
> and have the computer prompt me for which one I want to use when I boot up.
>      I'm using DOS 4.01.

Try Pc Magazine's CONFIG.CTL (from issue 11/29/88, p. 323).  Do GO
PCMAGNET on CompuServe.  It lets you change things at boot-up time.

On the batch file side, the book _Undocumented DOS_ has a program
called DEVLOD.COM that lets you load device drivers from the command
line (like: DEVLOD C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS).  You could use this with appropriate
prompts from within the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

 |     ~~~     Sid Sachs                       | "Time to wake up!            |
 |   / \ ~~~   at the Mountains of Madness     |    Time to rise!"            |
 | /  /   \    Bitnet:    sjs@ifasgnv          | - Silver Lady,               |
 |   /     \   Internet:  sjs@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu |   Intergalactic Touring Band |