[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Possible to read UNIX floppy with DOS?

floyd@starsend.UUCP (Floyd Miller) (03/14/91)

I have a set of floppies comprising a CPIO archive created by some
version of PC-Unix (ISC or SCO).  Now I want to read it with DOS.

I'm not so much concerned with extracting the files.  I mainly want
to read the byte stream off the floppy to transfer it to a Sun work-
station.  [no floppy device on my Sun, no Unix on my PC].

Is there, perhaps, a DOS utility available to read Unix floppies?
Or a way to access the floppy on an AT machine so as to bypass
whatever is looking for the DOS format?

*******    *******************************************
*****   ******************************** Floyd Miller
***  ************** floyd@starsend.UUCP
*  ******** floyd%starsend@PRC.Unisys.com
  ** starsend!floyd@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.com
*

pmd@cbnews.att.com (Paul Dubuc) (03/15/91)

}
}I'm not so much concerned with extracting the files.  I mainly want
}to read the byte stream off the floppy to transfer it to a Sun work-
}station.  [no floppy device on my Sun, no Unix on my PC].
}
}Is there, perhaps, a DOS utility available to read Unix floppies?
}Or a way to access the floppy on an AT machine so as to bypass
}whatever is looking for the DOS format?

The MKS Toolkit has a cpio utility for DOS.  I have been able to unpack
cpio archive files with it.  (Files were made under UNIX System V and
downloaded to my PC with a communications program).  It renames files that
are longer than 11 characters.  I haven't tried it directly from floppy,
but I see no reason that it shouldn't work.
--
Paul Dubuc    |   "For religion all men are equal, as all pennies
att!cbvox!pmd |   are equal, because the only value in any of them

data@buhub.bradley.edu (LCMDR Data) (03/15/91)

In <1991Mar14.180507.19797@cbnews.att.com> pmd@cbnews.att.com (Paul Dubuc) writes:

>The MKS Toolkit has a cpio utility for DOS.  I have been able to unpack
>cpio archive files with it.  (Files were made under UNIX System V and
>downloaded to my PC with a communications program).  It renames files that
>are longer than 11 characters.  I haven't tried it directly from floppy,
>but I see no reason that it shouldn't work.

That's all well and good, but if they use different sector sizes/track
configurations then you're screwed unless the program (the MKS toolkit) just
happens to know how to read them...
--
| I'nt: data@{bucs1,buhub,heartland}.bradley.edu, al632@cleveland.freenet.edu |
| "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, but Captain, |

DRWilliams@cup.portal.com (Dave Richard Williams) (03/17/91)

I too am looking for ways to read unix CPIO or TAR floppies on
MS-DOS machines.

to date I hjave had no problems transfering the files between the
machines and using various PD/Shareware CPIO/TAR routines to unpack
the files on the PC.  But haven't seen a way to treat the
disks as a device as done in Unix.

Hmm... Time to break out Norton (or similar disk utilities ) and seee
what those disks look like when done.

If people could E-MAIL me with any info they have I'd appreciate it.

		Dave
		DRWilliams@cup.portal.com

gts@megatest.UUCP (Tom Stephenson) (03/18/91)

From article <0055@starsend.UUCP>, by floyd@starsend.UUCP (Floyd Miller):
> I have a set of floppies comprising a CPIO archive created by some
> version of PC-Unix (ISC or SCO).  Now I want to read it with DOS.
>
> I'm not so much concerned with extracting the files.  I mainly want
> to read the byte stream off the floppy to transfer it to a Sun work-
> station.  [no floppy device on my Sun, no Unix on my PC].
>
> Is there, perhaps, a DOS utility available to read Unix floppies?
> Or a way to access the floppy on an AT machine so as to bypass
> whatever is looking for the DOS format?

We use XENIX running on a 386 PC. I have at times wanted files from XENIX
(on DOS) so the MKS Toolkit dd command works quite well.

The MKS toolkit command "dd" can read from the floppy disk.

What I did was use the dd command (XENIX) to write to the formatted floppy
under XENIX then use the MKS dd command on DOS to read the bit stream.

Hope this helps.
				Tom Stephenson
G. Tom Stephenson; Megatest Corp. (gts@megatest.UUCP)
880 Fox Ln.;  San Jose, CA 95031 (408) 437-9700
{pyramid|sun|decwrl}!megatest!gts

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (03/21/91)

In article <15721@megatest.UUCP> gts@megatest.UUCP (Tom Stephenson) writes:
>From article <0055@starsend.UUCP>, by floyd@starsend.UUCP (Floyd Miller):
>> I have a set of floppies comprising a CPIO archive created by some
>> version of PC-Unix (ISC or SCO).  Now I want to read it with DOS.

I have been using public-domain version of DOS tar, cpio, and pax that I
downloaded from Channel One in Cambridge, MA. It can read and write Unix
compatible floppies.

I have verified this with SunOS 4.1.1 and Esix System V/386 3.2D.

If you can't get it anywhere else, let me know and I can mail you the
binary (one binary is all three programs!)

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\