[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Windows Apps questions!!!

bjahn@wam.umd.edu (Byung-Joon Ahn) (03/20/91)

	I have run Win 3.0 for a while, but I am still not as comfortable
with it and I have a few questions for those Windows experts out there:

1) What is the difference between Word for Windows v1.0 and v1.1? Are they
	both fully compatible with Win3.0 in all 3 modes? How about the same
	qquestion with Excel2.1c and 3.0?

2) I have my modem on COM4. I have no problem using procomm. It seems there
	are many problems using com3 and com4 in Windows. Is there any other
	comm programs (such as WNQVT or UNICOM, etc) that supports com4 and
	how do I correctly configure my com4 for terminal?

3) I thought some DOs windows could be confined to a window and not full screen
	I have not yet seen an apps that was able to run in a window and not
	the whole screen for the non-windows apps. Is this true of all non-win
	apps?

Thanks for your replies... BTW I am using a 386SX w/ 2MB VGA 80MB HD IDE, if
this info helps at all...

B.J.

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar20.074604.14958@wam.umd.edu> bjahn@wam.umd.edu (Byung-Joon Ahn) writes:
> 3) I thought some DOs windows could be confined to a window and not full screen
> 	I have not yet seen an apps that was able to run in a window and not
> 	the whole screen for the non-windows apps. Is this true of all non-win
> 	apps?

In Enhanced mode I can get DOS apps to run in window if they are in text mode
or CGA graphics (320x200x4).  Any graphics mode above that won't work in
a window.

       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.074604.14958@wam.umd.edu> bjahn@wam.umd.edu (Byung-Joon Ahn) writes:

>	I have run Win 3.0 for a while, but I am still not as comfortable
>with it and I have a few questions for those Windows experts out there:
>
>1) What is the difference between Word for Windows v1.0 and v1.1? Are they
>	both fully compatible with Win3.0 in all 3 modes? How about the same
>	qquestion with Excel2.1c and 3.0?

A:  	WinWord 1.1 is mainly an upgrade to the display graphics, buttons look
 	more 3-D, window borders are prettier, etc.  Both are fully compatiable
	with Windows 3.0 and there is no major functionally difference.

	Excel 3.0 is a MAJOR relase change over Excel 2.1 since it's been
	recently issued, check trade magizines for ads and product
	reviews.

>2) I have my modem on COM4. I have no problem using procomm. It seems there
>	are many problems using com3 and com4 in Windows. Is there any other
>	comm programs (such as WNQVT or UNICOM, etc) that supports com4 and
>	how do I correctly configure my com4 for terminal?

A:	Com3 and Com4 were not standardized hardware designs, therefore, one
	cannot expect standardized software utilization.  There are programs
	which help Windows use these ports on various machines.  Check the
	FAQ list posted in this newsgroup occasionally.

>3) I thought some DOs windows could be confined to a window and not full screen
>	I have not yet seen an apps that was able to run in a window and not
>	the whole screen for the non-windows apps. Is this true of all non-win
>	apps?

A:	If you have not created a PIF for your non-Windows app, Windows uses
	_default.pif, which specifies to start the DOS app in full screen
	mode.  Non-Windows apps can ONLY be run in a window when Windows is
	running in 386 enhanced mode.  Toggle between full screen and windowed
	with Alt-Enter, or create a PIF which starts the app full screen.

>Thanks for your replies... BTW I am using a 386SX w/ 2MB VGA 80MB HD IDE, if
>this info helps at all...

A:	Some machines will not run in 386 enhanced mode with 2mb of memory,
	despite MS claims to the contrary.

	Also, if you can run 386 enhanced mode, certain non-Windows
	application may not start if you have only 2mb.  Many "experts"
	are recommending 4mb memory for 386 enhanced mode.

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar21.002659.27783@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) writes:
>In article <1991Mar20.074604.14958@wam.umd.edu> bjahn@wam.umd.edu (Byung-Joon Ahn) writes:
>>I have run Win 3.0 for a while, but I am still not as comfortable
>>with it and I have a few questions for those Windows experts out there:
>>1) What is the difference between Word for Windows v1.0 and v1.1? Are they
>>	both fully compatible with Win3.0 in all 3 modes? How about the same
>>	qquestion with Excel2.1c and 3.0?
>
>A: WinWord 1.1 is mainly an upgrade to the display graphics, buttons look
>   more 3-D, window borders are prettier, etc.  Both are fully compatiable
>   with Windows 3.0 and there is no major functionally difference.

The functional differences are for the most part in the number of file
formats that 1.1 can import over 1.0. 1.1 is *supposed* to be able to
read and write Word for the Mac 4.00c files, but I haven't got this to
work. (Partly because RTF works, and so I couldn't be bothered.)

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.030053.21920@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>The functional differences are for the most part in the number of file
>formats that 1.1 can import over 1.0. 1.1 is *supposed* to be able to
>read and write Word for the Mac 4.00c files, but I haven't got this to
>work. (Partly because RTF works, and so I couldn't be bothered.)

I was able to read most of my small MAC Word files, but the large (important)
ones didn't work (UAE or windows lockup at 16% converted).  RTF works fine
from MAC to WFW, but MAC Word dies when I go WFW to MAC.  Other experiences:
WinExcel reads MACExcel without a hitch (thou my spreadsheets are small and
not complex), Windows Powerpoint (Demo version) didn't recognize my MAC
Powerpoint files.

Your mileage may very.

--
* Bruce Benson                 + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu  +       +