[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Bug in Simearth, was Re: SIMEARTH anyone?

russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) (03/21/91)

I like SimEarth too, but it's got a very bad bug: you can't leave it
running just to see how the world evolves "untouched by human hands".
After a while (15' to 1/2 hour) it crashes with a message:

run-time error R6000
-stack overflow

(which seems to be a Microsoft C message, by the way)...

That's very annoying to me because I wanted to run a bunch of worlds and
see how likely different classes were to become sentient, and what variation
there was, etc.

This happened under DOS 3.2 and 3.3, on a 486 and a 286, with EGA and VGA...

Anyone know a fix for this, or seen it happen?

Russ

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (03/21/91)

I saw a bug fix released on the gampub forum on Compu$erve.  It addressed the R
6000 among several others.

                                               A.P.

cjkuo@locus.com (Chengi Jimmy Kuo) (03/22/91)

russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) writes:

>I like SimEarth too, but it's got a very bad bug: you can't leave it
>running just to see how the world evolves "untouched by human hands".
>After a while (15' to 1/2 hour) it crashes with a message:

>run-time error R6000
>-stack overflow

Instructions specifically say, if you get this bug, try again with no
CONFIG.SYS (or minimal since you might have a mouse) and no autoexec
(i.e. nothing else that ties up memory) and make sure you have enough
memory (I think 540K).  I got that message too.  Then I ran as directed
and haven't seen it since.

Jimmy Kuo
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"