[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Desktop Publishing System for UNIX and PC

brown@motcid.UUCP (Kevin Brown) (03/19/91)

Is there a desktop publishing system available that runs on a Sun 3
workstation AND an IBM PC (or PC clone)?
--
	Kevin T. Brown ------>  Motorola Cellular, Arlington Heights, Illinois
	708-632-5284		brown@ivory ... uunet!motcid!brown

stehle@erg.sri.com (Roy Stehle) (03/21/91)

In article <6728@cyclamen15.UUCP> brown@motcid.UUCP (Kevin Brown) writes:
>Is there a desktop publishing system available that runs on a Sun 3
>workstation AND an IBM PC (or PC clone)?

Check out FrameMaker by Frame.  I understand they work on Sun, PC, and Mac.
We're just starting an installation, so I can't comment on the compatibility.
I expect that we will run FrameMaker on the Sun fileservers and have PC
access via X-Windows (to cure problems of incompatibilities).

I am running IBM (Interleaf) Publisher on a PC and have many problems
importing and exporting to Interleaf's WPS and TPS running on the Suns.
The biggest problem is that the fonts look alike, but have different names;
either system will protest the other's fonts.  The PC version is basically
the older WPS.

Roy Stehle
stehle@erg.sri.com

barker@Software.Mitel.COM (John Barker) (03/22/91)

writes:

>Is there a desktop publishing system available that runs on a Sun 3
>workstation AND an IBM PC (or PC clone)?

Few and far between. We use Interleaf, which has a port for Sun 3, 4,
IBM PC, DEC VAX, DecStation, VaxStation, Apollo, etc. etc. etc.
Contact Interleaf, Inc. at Prospect Place, 9 Hillside Ave, Waltham
Massachusetts, 02154, for your local contact. The software is bundled
in a variety of configurations, depending on options you purchase.
The lowest-level package is roughly analogous to FrameMaker.

--john