[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: program to list differences amoung files

kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) (03/15/91)

What is a good program to look at several files and list in a human readable
format the differences? I think VMS Difference is a pretty good example of
this. What do people use for msdos? Are there any unix ports?

-Thanks

--
Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/17/91)

In article <2665@bnlux0.bnl.gov> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>What is a good program to look at several files and list in a human readable
>format the differences? I think VMS Difference is a pretty good example of
>this. What do people use for msdos? Are there any unix ports?
:

Here is one alternative at garbo.uwasa.fi archives.

/pc/ts/tsf2cm15.arc    More file utilities by T.Salmi
Filename        Comment                             Date      Time    CRC
--------        --------------------------------    ----      ----    ---
FILECOMP.EXE    Compares two text files           01-15-89  09:15:58  14FA
FILEQLPC.EXE    Converts deficient end-of-lines   08-25-88  11:56:48  8DE8
TSF2CM.INF      Document                          06-01-89  12:42:02  7BF5
TSPROG.INF      List of PD programs from T.Salmi  05-28-89  13:10:24  F9AA
----            ------             ------  -----
0004             69288              50471   28%

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

c60b-1eq@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (03/19/91)

In article <2665@bnlux0.bnl.gov> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>What is a good program to look at several files and list in a human readable
>format the differences? I think VMS Difference is a pretty good example of
>this. What do people use for msdos? Are there any unix ports?

Try GNU diff.  An MSDOS port of diff is available on wuarchive.wustl.edu
(/mirrors/msdos/gnuish).
+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Noam Mendelson                       | "I haven't lost my mind,    |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU            |  it's backed up on tape     |
| University of California at Berkeley |  somewhere."                |

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (03/21/91)

Is the built-in fc command not good enough?

Terrell

miles@aurs01.UUCP (Robert Miles) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.050908.28563@isis.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.UUCP (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>Is the built-in fc command not good enough?

Built into what?  I can't find it in PC-DOS 4.00.

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.050908.28563@isis.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.UUCP (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>Is the built-in fc command not good enough?
>

>Terrell

Please don't flame me if I'm not absolutely correct...

The DOS utility FC was shipped with DOS 3.2 and 3.3, but not before.
Also, it seems not to have been shipped iwth DOS 4.01

So--fc is not good enough if it's not there!
--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.233818.8063@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu>, landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) wrote:
}The DOS utility FC was shipped with DOS 3.2 and 3.3, but not before.
}Also, it seems not to have been shipped iwth DOS 4.01

Whether or not your copy of DOS includes FC depends on the OEM.  IBM has never
included FC with PC-DOS, whereas many OEMs distribute FC along with their
variant of MS-DOS, and have since v1.x (some others include it under the
name FILCOM).
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

pvr@wang.com (Peter Reilley) (03/22/91)

In article <2665@bnlux0.bnl.gov> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>What is a good program to look at several files and list in a human readable
>format the differences? I think VMS Difference is a pretty good example of
>this. What do people use for msdos? Are there any unix ports?

	One visual method of comparing files is to use beav (Binary Editor And
Viewer).   Beav was posted to alt.sources a few weeks ago and should
be appearing in comp.sources.unix and comp.binaries.ibm.pc shortly.

	Beav is intended for binary files but can handle any file format.
To do the compare, open two windows and load the two files in the two windows.
Position the cursor in the two windows to the point at which the compare
is to start.   Issue the compare command and beav will advance the cursor
in both windows to the first non-matching byte.

	Peter Reilley	pvr@wang.com

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (03/22/91)

In a recent article kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>What is a good program to look at several files and list in a human readable
>format the differences? I think VMS Difference is a pretty good example of
>this. What do people use for msdos? Are there any unix ports?

Try SUPERC.  Originally written internally at IBM, then marketed as part
of the Personally Developed Software line (good if informal software at
decent prices), and then sold to an independent mail-order house ("Personally
Developed Software") which alas has never solicited similar offerings beyond
what was purchased from IBM.  The price in the last PDS catalog I have is
$14.95.  Phone number is 1-800-IBM-PCSW (1-800-426-7279).  I have no idea
if they're still in business.

SUPERC isn't perfect, but it does a good job of both binary and line-mode
comparisons, and can detect line insertions and deletions as well.

Joe Morris

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/23/91)

I use FCOMP for comparing two binary files.  It has a split screen
display with both ASCII and HEX.  It's available via anonymous FTP
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
FCOMP12.ARC   B   25600  880519  File comparison,split screen binary/ascii disp

This file is also available from Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)