[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Options for a 286

c60b-1eq@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (03/24/91)

In article <9103@plains.NoDak.edu> myhre@plains.NoDak.edu (Rezh - An Ancient One) writes:
>  I have a 286 and there are a couple of options that I am unfamiliar with
>when running set-up.  I would appreciate any help that you can give.
>I am running AMI bios and there are three options that I need help with:
>1)  Video Bios Shadow: Enable or Disable.  I am running Paradise EGA mono
>    card if this info is needed.  Could someone let me know what this is?

Shadowing a BIOS means copying it from slow ROM chips to faster RAM chips.
This speeds up BIOS calls, and I would normally recommend that this
option be turned ON for improved performance (in this case video
performance).

>2)  Scratch Ram Option:  If required, BIOS will use 256 bytes of RAM
>    1)  Using BIOS stack area at 0030:0000
>    2)  Reducing base memory size by 1KB
>    Which option should I use.  I am running with 2 megs of 80ns SIPPs

This seems like a very minor point.  It was probably put there for
compatibility purposes.	 Use option (1), and if you have any trouble,
switch to option (2) which will be safer but will require 1K of
memory (no big deal).

>3)  Main Bios Shadow:  Enable or Disable
>    Again, any help would be appreciate.

Same as for question (1).  Enabling it will improve machine performance.
Disable it if it causes any trouble (i.e., machine dying).  However, you
shouldn't have any trouble with it turned ON.

| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |