[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] GIF to BMP?

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (03/22/91)

ao@elixir.lne.kth.se (Anders Ohlsson) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a program to convert 640x480x256 GIFs to
>	BMPs, so that they can be used as wallpaper in Windows 3.0?

I have been playing with 'wingif' (I think I got it from cica).  It allows
you to display them, convert them to BMP and even do 16 color dithers as well
as scaling (and maybe other things I cannot remember off hand).

Brian Town

nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (03/22/91)

ao@elixir.lne.kth.se (Anders Ohlsson) writes:

>	Does anyone know of a program to convert 640x480x256 GIFs to
>	BMPs, so that they can be used as wallpaper in Windows 3.0?

>	I have tried a program called GIF2BMP version 1.0 (found it
>	on garbo.uwasa.fi) but it doesn't seem to be able to handle
>	larger pictures than 320x200, it just throws them up...

A couple suggestions, first, GIF2BMP works fine for me, I've used it to
convert 1024x768x256 .gif to .bmp files. Maybe your GIF2BMP version is
old, I think mine is ver 1.1, not really sure. You can find it on
cica.cica.indiana.edu, directory /pub/pc/win3/util.

There are some other ways to convert gif to bmp. One of them is to use
a program called wingif, the lastest version is on cica, directory
/pub/pc/win3/upload. You can use this program to read in a gif file then
save it as .bmp. There are lots of other ways to do this, I won't mention
them all.

--
           Nan Zou              | Bitnet  : nan@ksuvm
    Kansas State University     | Internet: nan@math.ksu.edu

antonyc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Antony Chan) (03/23/91)

tpmonai@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Lee Monai (ANALEX)) writes:

>WINGIF will also display GIF images in 800x600 256 Color Mode.  They look
>great except they are UPSIDE DOWN!  Convert to BMP and the images are right
>side up.

>Anybody know why this is happening?

are you sure they're being displayed upside-down?  i have been
playing with wingif some, and i noticed that as they're loading
they're displayed upside-down, but when they're done loading
wingif flips them back to the proper orientation.

tpmonai@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Lee Monai (ANALEX)) (03/23/91)

In article <8750006@hpspkla.spk.hp.com>, town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes...
>ao@elixir.lne.kth.se (Anders Ohlsson) writes:
>
>>	Does anyone know of a program to convert 640x480x256 GIFs to
>>	BMPs, so that they can be used as wallpaper in Windows 3.0?
>
>I have been playing with 'wingif' (I think I got it from cica).  It allows
>you to display them, convert them to BMP and even do 16 color dithers as well
>as scaling (and maybe other things I cannot remember off hand).
>
>Brian Town

WINGIF will also display GIF images in 800x600 256 Color Mode.  They look
great except they are UPSIDE DOWN!  Convert to BMP and the images are right
side up.

Anybody know why this is happening?

LEE A. MONAI ..........................ANLEX CORPORATION
TPMONAI@MARS.LERC.NASA.GOV.............21775 Brookpark Rd.
(216) 779-3842.........................Fairview Park, OH
"Opinions expressed are mine not Analex nor NASA nor U.S. Goverment
 nor any other rational, sane person"

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (03/23/91)

I believe that GrafWorks or Pic Lab (or both?) can do this.  I know _ONE_ of
them does convert GIF to Win3 BMP format because because I used it to do so
and now have several 640x480x256 fractal wallpaper BMP files.

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.182850.8025@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) writes:
>I have been using PICLAB to convert large GIF's to BMP's.  This's
>what I do:
>
>	1. Run PICLAB and load the GIF
>	2. UNMAP
>	3. set PALETTE 16
>	4. PLOAD *windows-palette-file*
>
>		*note: the windows palette file is just a 16-line file
>			   containing the RGB values of the windows palette.
>
>	5. MAP
>	6. Save the new GIF
>
>The new GIF will be a 16-color picture with the WIndows palette,
>which you can use Grafworks (GWS) to convert into BMP format.  I
>usually found that the dithering PICLAB performs make the resulting
>BMP look much better.  With color pictures, though, the Windows
>palette is completely inadequate.  I usually ended up using only
>the four gray colors and convert the color GIF into a black & white
>BMP.

An even easier way is to get wingif from cica. Load the file in (it understands
GIF), then save the file selecting .BMP as the output file type.

Very easy, works for me.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.184929.19261@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> tpmonai@mars.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>WINGIF will also display GIF images in 800x600 256 Color Mode.  They look
>great except they are UPSIDE DOWN!  Convert to BMP and the images are right
>side up.
>
>Anybody know why this is happening?

No, but if you iconize the window and then bring it back, the image will be
right side up!

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com

tpmonai@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Lee Monai (ANALEX)) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar22.195045.12709@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, antonyc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Antony Chan) writes...
>tpmonai@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Lee Monai (ANALEX)) writes:
>
>>WINGIF will also display GIF images in 800x600 256 Color Mode.  They look
>>great except they are UPSIDE DOWN!  Convert to BMP and the images are right
>>side up.
>
>>Anybody know why this is happening?
>
>are you sure they're being displayed upside-down?  i have been
>playing with wingif some, and i noticed that as they're loading
>they're displayed upside-down, but when they're done loading
>wingif flips them back to the proper orientation.

1. Yes, I as sure the GIF images are upside-down when they are finished

2. If then save the GIF after it has loaded and load it again, it is right
side up!

3. I am using a Diamond Speedstar VGA with Diamond Windows3 drivers.  When
I was using the default Windows 640x480x16 drivers I did not have a problem.