[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Sound Blaster music editor

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/26/91)

I recently bought a Sound Blaster card.  However, I was dissapointed
to find that it came with no good music editing software.  The FM
Intelligent Organ is actually a pretty Stupid program (especially for
something called Intelligent).  What I am looking for a program that
allows me to write music by specifying musical notes (i.e. as in sheet
music).  Creative Labs (the company that manufiacture the SB) offers such
a program for $79.95 which seem a little steep.   Is there a public
domain/share ware package program to do this.  And if there is, where
can it be ftp'ed from?

Thanks,
Mike.--
       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

mikkelson@breakr.enet.dec.com (snopes) (03/26/91)

In article <4970@czech.sw.mcc.com>,
  daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes...

>I recently bought a Sound Blaster card.  However, I was dissapointed
>to find that it came with no good music editing software.  The FM
>Intelligent Organ is actually a pretty Stupid program (especially for
>something called Intelligent).  What I am looking for a program that
>allows me to write music by specifying musical notes (i.e. as in sheet
>music).

 Try using the AdLib Visual Composer software.  It's SoundBlaster compatible,
 and you can use all the .ROL files available from various FTP sites.

 - snopes

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) (03/27/91)

In article <21462@shlump.nac.dec.com> mikkelson@breakr.enet.dec.com (snopes) writes:

>In article <4970@czech.sw.mcc.com>,
>  daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes...
>
>>I recently bought a Sound Blaster card.
>>allows me to write music by specifying musical notes (i.e. as in sheet
>
> Try using the AdLib Visual Composer software.  It's SoundBlaster compatible,
> and you can use all the .ROL files available from various FTP sites.

One more great program which is shareware is called Musician 1.  I
received this last week and was surprised at how powerful it seems
to be.  You can use a mouse with pull down menus and even place
all notes along with anyother info, rests, time sig, flats, ect
with it.  The documentation which comes with it is very limited
but after playing around for a few hours (and copying sheet music
to get started) I have most things figured out.  You can regester
the program (remember shareware ;-) for $89.00 through Creative
Labs or the software company in Finland.  If you KNOW music and
how to write it, this is for you.  In my case its been many years
since high school band so I'll keep on copying sheet music till I
get the hang of it.
Good luck.

Daniel

dawdy@tellabs.com