[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] bootable or not bootable

mhr@ccicpg.uucp (Mark Hull-Richter) (03/27/91)

I tried to email this, but it bounced (like about half or more of my
email responses to net posters - I thought we had a semi-smart mailer
here, but it's getting harder to distinguish that from a brain-dead
mailer, but I digress).

To the person who was debating about formatting bootable vs.
non-bootable floppys and hard disks:

Subject: Re: Installing a formatted disk
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

For a floppy disk, there are some utilities floating around which can
move your files and FAT entries around so as to make a non-bootable
floppy into a SYSable one.  I wouldn't recommend this for a hard disk,
though - always make your drive C bootable.  It doesn't really take up
that much room and it will save time in the long run when you decide to
make it bootable anyway (trust me - you will).

Regards.