[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] FTP help

jly33321@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/07/90)

What is the best ftp site for ibm pc programs?

I've been looking around for the latest version of arc (6.21?) and some
other programs, but can't seem to find them.

Email to y-yoon@uiuc.edu

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
John Yoon

jhaslup@cs.arizona.edu (Jason A. Haslup) (03/25/91)

This may be the wrong newsgroup, but if someone could point me to the right
one that'd be great.  My problem is when I ftp an ibm .ZIP file and I want
to transfer it to my computer at hom (ibm).  I download it through procomm
using kermit, but when I run pkunzip on it, it comes up with an error.
Do I need to run it through another program first to convert it an ibm
file or anything?  Any help would be appreciated, either through email or
on here.

--

                   --- Jason Haslup ---
                at the University of Arizona

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, Gen DataComm, +1 203 758-1811) (03/26/91)

In article <1262@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, jhaslup@cs.arizona.edu (Jason A. Haslup) writes:
> This may be the wrong newsgroup, but if someone could point me to the right
> one that'd be great.  My problem is when I ftp an ibm .ZIP file and I want
> to transfer it to my computer at hom (ibm).  I download it through procomm
> using kermit, but when I run pkunzip on it, it comes up with an error.
> Do I need to run it through another program first to convert it an ibm
> file or anything?  Any help would be appreciated, either through email or
> on here.

1) You ARE ftping in binary mode, right?

2) If you are kermiting from a VAX/VMS system, you may have to convert the
   file type from Stream/LF to Fixed 512 (or was it the other way?).

-----
Seng-Poh Lee				Work:	lee@gdc.portal.com
Technology Center			...!uunet!portal!gdc!lee
General DataComm Ind. Inc.		Home:	lee%splee.uucp@hsi.com
Middlebury, CT				...!uunet!hsi!splee!lee
|                   T H I S   S P A C E  F O R  R E N T                   |

gt0652b@prism.gatech.EDU (I don't know man, he was just here) (03/27/91)

>In article <1262@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, jhaslup@cs.arizona.edu (Jason A. Haslup) writes:
>> one that'd be great.  My problem is when I ftp an ibm .ZIP file and I want
>> to transfer it to my computer at hom (ibm).  I download it through procomm
>> using kermit, but when I run pkunzip on it, it comes up with an error.

The problem here is not how you are ftping, but how you are downloading
from your local mainframe. You have to make sure that you are downloading
in binary mode. Otherwisw, the host computer will insert CR/LF's at the at
each code that looks like a CR.

Josh Guttman

* Joshua I. Guttman	   (404)355-3908 Home      **    Norm Is Lord! 	    *
* gt0652b@prism.gatech.edu (404)355-0001 Business  **************************
* josh@triad.com           (404)242-1922 Triad Technologies                 *