[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Stoned Virus

svihla@evax0.eng.fsu.edu (C. Kurt Svihla) (11/28/90)

  This is not the best place to post this query but I was unable to post to
the somewhat more logical COMP.VIRUS.  Our department recently discovered the
STONED virus on six of our computers.  We were able to detect it and remove
it with no apparent damage to  our system.  Is STONED usually this benign or
were we just lucky?  As I understand it, STONED can only propagate from a
floppy to a hard drive if a boot is initiated while an infected floppy is in
the A: drive.  Is STONED unable to propagate in this manner from a B: drive?
How about from a Zenith PC, which are usually set to default boot from the
hard drive - will STONED only propagate if you initiate a floppy boot via the
Monitor program with a defective floppy in the A:drive?  Lastly, we found
STONED on many of our floppy disks - how does STONED transfer from the hard
disk to a floppy? Does this only occur when you format a floppy disk on an
infected machine? Does the presence of the STONED virus on a floppy disk
imperil the information stored on it in any way, or does the floppy just act
as a vector for the STONED virus?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

  C. Kurt Svihla    |                                                 |
SVIHLA@EVAX.ENG.FSU |                SPACE AVAILABLE                  |
____________________|_________________________________________________|

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.141833.18847@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>
svihla@evax0.eng.fsu.edu writes:

>  Our department recently discovered the
>STONED virus on six of our computers.  We were able to detect it and remove
>it with no apparent damage to  our system.  Is STONED usually this benign or
>were we just lucky?  As I understand it, STONED can only propagate from a
>floppy to a hard drive if a boot is initiated while an infected floppy is in
>the A: drive.  Is STONED unable to propagate in this manner from a B: drive?
>How about from a Zenith PC, which are usually set to default boot from the
>hard drive - will STONED only propagate if you initiate a floppy boot via the
>Monitor program with a defective floppy in the A:drive?  Lastly, we found
>STONED on many of our floppy disks - how does STONED transfer from the hard
>disk to a floppy? Does this only occur when you format a floppy disk on an
>infected machine? Does the presence of the STONED virus on a floppy disk
>imperil the information stored on it in any way, or does the floppy just act
>as a vector for the STONED virus?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ah, yesssssss....the STONED virus.  About 6 months ago I learned all
about the STONED virus the hard way!!!  The whole ordeal also was
my first real hacking experience...

This is what the STONED virus does according to my observations:
It takes the info from the boot sector of a floppy disk (sector
number one), transfers it in whole to sector number eleven, then
overwrites sector one with near identical data but with a nice
message saying "YOUR PC HAS JUST BEEN STONED.  LEGALIZE MARIJUANA!"
(or something like that).  That's how it got its name--the "STONED"
virus.

It *is* a very benign virus and it is easy to remove if you have the
right utilities.  I'll explain that below.

The STONED virus is really sneaky.  If a computer has been affected,
all you have to do to get it on your floppy is to place it in the
drive and do a simple "dir" on the floppy, and....voila!!  Instant
virus on your floppy!  No warning, no write command, no copy command--
just a simple read command will do it.  It even suppresses the
"disk is write-protected" message if it can't write on your disk.
Swift, clean, and insidious...

It infected about 10 of my disks.  (I think I'll cross-post this to
alt.folklore.computers for the following hilarious story...)

There I was trying to get a new word processor to work in a particular
video setting.  I had about a dozen new disks I was using--the real
expensive Verbatim teflon-coated preformatted factory fresh kind.
I had spent several days on this computer (in a computer lab) and
had *just* finished arranging all the files exactly the way I wanted
them when I noticed that one of the file's names had been changed.
The new name isn't printable here because it included a bunch of
non-ASCII characters.  So of course I couldn't simply "ren" the
file because I couldn't enter those characters, and that also meant
I couldn't delete it.

And then in trying to get this solved another file or two did the
same thing.  "Stupid machine; the floppy must be making mistakes
on me," I thought.  So I formatted the disk, recopied files for the
millionth time, and it went away.  Temporarily...

Fortunately I had a virus scanning program with me.  After an hour
or so of frustration I decided I might as well run the scan (not
expecting anything to happen of course).  Lo and behold, the scan
came up with a virus on my diskette.  "Where did I get this?"
I checked another disk..."Wow, there it is again."

About 6 or 7 disks later I realized it was on every disk I was
putting in the machine.  Not only that, but when I formatted a
disk that was infected it *still* came up with the virus on it.
"Ah hah!  I'll do a virus scan on an *uninfected* disk....

"What?!!! On this disk too!!!  And it was straight out of the box--
preformatted at that!  THERE'S A VIRUS AT VERBATIM--I BETTER CALL
THEM QUICK!  Boy, I can't imagine how many tens of thousands of
virus-infected disks they must be shipping out!"

So I rushed to the phone and dialed their 1-800 number and...
they were closed.  It was Friday night and they wouldn't be open
again till Monday.  Lucky for me, too!

Well, I don't know what finally clued me in to the situation here.
I found out that if I put a *write-protected* new disk in the
drive and did a scan it came up clean, but if it was not write-
protected it was infected.

Conclusion:  The computer was writing the virus on every disk
that I scanned for the virus.  As I said above: Insidious.

I now realize that the reason the file names were getting screwed
up was that by writing over sector 11 the virus was messing around
with the FAT (File Allocation Table).

How to got rid of it:

Put in an uninfected disk with a write-protection on it.  Use a
sector reading/writing utility and copy sector 11 into memory
then remove the disk.  Put in infected unprotected disk and write
the info from memory onto the infected disk's sector 11.  Repeat
the process with sector 1.

This is all from memory, so I hope that sector 11 is correct.
Just look at it and see if the boot info has been placed there.

In order to clear it off the hard disk you will need a virus
remover.  Simply deleting all the files and recopying them back
may not work because they tried that on my computer and it was
still there, though I think the reason for that is they booted
from the hard drive rather than the floppy before they erased
the disk and did the recopying.

Good luck.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/28/90)

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

[Story about an experience with "Stoned" deleted]

>In order to clear it off the hard disk you will need a virus
>remover.  Simply deleting all the files and recopying them back
>may not work because they tried that on my computer and it was
>still there, though I think the reason for that is they booted
>from the hard drive rather than the floppy before they erased
>the disk and did the recopying.

I got hit a couple of months ago.  You can recover a hard disk without
software, but it's a pain.

I had two infected disks.  One was a 150MB drive with about 100MB of
data on it.  The other was a 300MB drive with 280MB of data on it.  I
backed up all the files on the small system to tape.  Did a "low-level"
format of the drive, ran FDISK, then reFORMATted the drive for DOS.  I
then restored the tapes.

This took forever.  Being paranoid (well not really - people really were
after me  :-), I make two backups and verified both.  I also verified
the restore.  This took me most of a very frustrating day.

When I realized how long it would take to repair the big disk, I got
really depressed.  I called some associates who are in the computer
security business and they recommended I contact Digital Dispatch about
their VirHunt package.  I called them up (800-221-8091) and they said
their program could remove the virus.  I quickly filled out a PR, got
signatures and begged my purchasing agent to call them up with a PO
number.  A few minutes later, I called them up.  They gave me the number
of their PC and I dialed in and we used Crosstalk to get the program
into my PC.  Fifteen minutes later, I had removed the virus from the big
system.  This happened within about an hour of even hearing that DDI even
existed.

Talk about mood swings.  I went from the deepest depression to the
highest high I've ever experienced.  This made manic depression look
like childs play.  I was literally bouncing up and down with tears
running down my face.

I'll be forever in debt to DDI for them saving my ass.  I'll probably
fondly remember them on my deathbed.

Anyway, I highly recommend the product ($50).  I had a copy of McAfee's
SCAN program that someone sent me to try out.  When I suspected a
problem, I tried SCAN and it found the virus, but wouldn't do anything
to remove it.  I like VirHunt much better.  I've gotten rid of SCAN - it
just doesn't compete.

No computer support jock should live without it.

Sermon mode on...

OK folks.  Whoever you are that created this cute little virus.  You
think it's "harmless."  Well sure, it didn't destroy any data.  But it
did cost me more than two day's work.  One wasted repairing the first
hard disk and another checking every disk we have.  Do you have any idea
how long it takes (and how incredibly boring it is) to check dozens of
hard disks and thousands of floppies?  Talk about tedium.  All I can say
is you better not brag about writing a virus within earshot of me.  You
won't last the night.

Sermon mode off.

It turns out one of my users had been computing around with his home PC
and brought the infection into work.  Damn slut!  It then spread to my
secretary's disk where I found it.  She had been having problems for a
while and the symptoms reminded me of the Disk Killer virus (a really
nasty one I hear).  I was actually looking for Disk Killer when I found
Stoned.  Turns out she was having problems with conflicts between
Crosstalk XVI and DOS 4.01.  We really lucked out finding Stoned this
way.  A few days later and the infection could have spread throughout
the institute.  Instead of having to check a few dozen PCs, it would
have been hundreds of hard disks and tens of thousands of floppies.
Whew!

To the original poster:

I think having a PC that won't boot off of drive A: would help protect
you from this virus.  Many people leave a floppy in the drive when they
turn their PC off at night and turn it on in the morning.  I also may
boot a PC many times when setting one up.  I don't always remember to
unlatch the floppy.  That's how you get it.  When you boot off an
infected floppy, it leaves a little TSR in memory.  That TSR looks for
floppy accesses and infects floppies when they are not write protected.
Every time you boot from an infected hard disk or floppy, the TSR gets
loaded and is ready for action.  Even if your infected floppy isn't
bootable, it will infect your system when it tries to boot off it.  You
will get the non-system disk message when you do this as you would from
a normal data disk.

Personally, I feel that a PC should boot from a floppy only when you
tell it to do so.  It should not be the default.  Maybe you BIOS
manufacturers (if that's who's responsible) can take a hint.  Give us a
break guys.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (11/28/90)

In article <marshall.659749059@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
#Anyway, I highly recommend the product ($50).  I had a copy of McAfee's
#SCAN program that someone sent me to try out.  When I suspected a
#problem, I tried SCAN and it found the virus, but wouldn't do anything
#to remove it.  I like VirHunt much better.  I've gotten rid of SCAN - it
#just doesn't compete.

You also need to get CLEANUP when you get SCAN.  It works quite well on
Stoned.  (BTW, I lost data due to cross-linked files that I couldn't
reassemble correctly.)

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

brian@mermaid.micro.umn.edu (Brian) (11/29/90)

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>In article <...> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>You also need to get CLEANUP when you get SCAN.  It works quite well on
>Stoned.  (BTW, I lost data due to cross-linked files that I couldn't
>reassemble correctly.)

Also try F-PROT (available on anonymous ftp all over, slowly from it's home
town of uwasa.fi) which I believe works better on Stoned than CLEANUP, and
includes all sorts of scanning/disinfecting/protecting utilities for much
less money than the suite of McAfee utilities.  McAfee updates more often
and is easier to get started with, but F-PROT is updated fairly often and
is easier to use after it's set up.

BTW I'm a registered SCAN user, I'll probably register F-PROT someday, but
I don't really use my clone for much beyond being a terminal anymore.

If anyone suspects a virus on their machine, or wants to know more about viruses
read comp.virus for a while, and use SCAN or F-PROT (MS-DOS) to check for
viruses.  You can ftp to mibsrv (130.160.20.80) and look in pub/ibm-antivirus.

Followup set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, BTW.
--
Brian
"When I have a headache, NO ONE gets laid!"

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.191327.2680@cs.umn.edu> brian@mermaid.micro.umn.edu (Brian) writes:
>dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>>In article <...> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>
>Also try F-PROT (available on anonymous ftp all over, slowly from it's home
>town of uwasa.fi) which I believe works better on Stoned than CLEANUP, and

Sorry. This is wrong.  F-PROT is not  made in Vaasa,  Finland. We just
got it first ;-)

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
  P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

brian@mermaid.micro.umn.edu (Brian) (11/30/90)

Oh, by the way, my .signature is a quote by,,, well, here is the corrected
version with attribution:

--
Brian
"When I have a headache, NO ONE gets laid!" - hin9@midway.uchicago.edu (T. Rev)

garlange@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Mark Garlanger) (12/05/90)

>Personally, I feel that a PC should boot from a floppy only when you
>tell it to do so.  It should not be the default.  Maybe you BIOS
>manufacturers (if that's who's responsible) can take a hint.  Give us a
>break guys.

Buy a Zenith,  that is how they do it.

		Mark

goyal@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/22/90)

thanks to all those who responded to my request regarding
help with Stoned virus
i got my hands on a pre-release copy of Norton Anti Virus
(dated dec 6 1990!) that worked beautifully to fix the
problem. The utility can also be installed as a TSR so that
it intercepts any virus being loaded in the RAM. The only
drawback is that (i) it is copy protected, and (ii) it requires
about 25k RAM. No idea about the price however since it will
be released next year

sameer goyal
goyal@ccu.umanitoba.ca

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (03/28/91)

Virex will find the Stoned virus, but won't fix it
what will?  please email me (i don't normally read this group)

thanx,
Seth

Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (03/29/91)

In article <yo8iZ1w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) writes:
>Virex will find the Stoned virus, but won't fix it
>what will?  please email me (i don't normally read this group)
>
>thanx,
>Seth
>
>Seth Cohn, Service Tech.  607-273-2815 voice 607-272-7002 BBS
>All things posted are opinions by me, of me, for me, or to me.
>And another thing..........I'm not sure you're real.

Here at Iowa State University, we get the stoned virus all the time on our
PCs.  You could reformat the hard disk to get rid of it, but I prefer to
use CLEAN from McAfree Associates.  It's available via anonymous FTP from
wuarchive.wustl.edu and other places, I'm sure.