[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Small business accounting software wanted

rice@willow23.cray.com (Jonathan Rice) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.133242.29135@cbnewsk.att.com> paulb@cbnewsk.att.com (paul.l.bidwell) writes:
>In article <5708@tellab5.tellabs.com> dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:
>>A friend of mine runs a small bussiness and is looking for
>>a good accounting package which will handle payroll, show him
>>when and how much to pay in quarterly taxes, run checks, ect.
>I'm also interested in this kind of info. I've noticed a program
>called Paccoli 2000 can be picked up for around $30 mail order.
>It is any good?

There have been half a dozen or so inquiries about Pacioli 2000 in the last
few weeks, so rather than sending yet another e-mail message...

Yes, it is reputed to be "any good."  The accountancy trade press has had
favorable reviews, as have the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times.
One of those papers (I think it was the WSJ article) said that their biggest
problem was the image generated by the $50 price tag -- people aren't willing
to believe that this is a competitor of $1000 programs.

Pacioli 2000 was written by the fellow who wrote DAC Easy, one of the early
accounting packages.  He sold the rights to that and started right up with
another company.

What's the catch?  I have heard that what these folks really want to sell is
business forms -- preprinted invoices and the like -- and that offering
Pacioli 2000 at a bargain price is just a way to establish a business
relationship with you.

First hand information?  Well, it came by UPS yesterday :o) so I'll post a
review (in comp.os.msdos.apps where it belongs) after sufficient time to do a
competent evaluation.  To the poster who wanted something to "show him when
and how much to pay in quarterly taxes," try an accountant.  Programs do
bookkeeping -- balance sheets and depreciation schedules and the like -- they
do not provide interpretations of the lengthy and arcane Internal Revenue
Code.

--
Jonathan C. Rice    | Internet: rice@cray.com
Cray Research, Inc. | UUCP:   uunet!cray!rice