[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] RQOM

pgt@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) (03/28/91)

	Okay, what's the difference between a notebook and a laptop
(computer, that is).  Expandability?  Spiral vs. hardbound (he-he)?
Type of plastic in the case?

	On a more general note, I'm looking for recommendations on a
relatively inexpensive (~$1500) notebook/laptop.  Blazing speed is not
a huge requirement - a 12 or 16 MHz 286 would probably be fine.  Of
course, a 386SX would be nice to avoid obsolesence in the next 17
days, but I doubt that'd be in the given price range.  At least a 40MB
drive, VGA monitor (how many levels of greyscale??), and a couple MB
of RAM seem reasonable.  Any and all comments will be greatly
appreciated!

	Thanks,

		Paul Tobin
		pgt@fc.hp.com

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Chris Landers) (03/29/91)

In article <15650004@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> pgt@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) writes:

>	Okay, what's the difference between a notebook and a laptop
>(computer, that is).  Expandability?  Spiral vs. hardbound (he-he)?
>Type of plastic in the case?

Size and weight.  No definitive answers, but generally:

	Notebooks about 8 1/2 x 11", < 5#
 	Laptops   about the size of your lap, 6-15 #
	Luggables about the size of John Goodman's lap, more # than you want
		  to carry home every night.  Usually, no battery.

Notebooks are either:  limited functionality  or VERY expensive

Note:  These words were invented by Marketing people!
--
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/31/91)

>	On a more general note, I'm looking for recommendations on a
>relatively inexpensive (~$1500) notebook/laptop.  Blazing speed is not
>a huge requirement - a 12 or 16 MHz 286 would probably be fine.  Of

Whatever you do.. stay away from Bondwells.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !