[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] The whole story on Gateway

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar27.162821.2498@cs.mcgill.ca> storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) writes:

>One simple point to be made here is that despite all the yabbering that is
>going on about Gateway 2000, there are happy customers, and as seen here,
>unhappy customers.
>
>I know some three people with Gateway 2000 machines and they wouldn't trade
>them for anything in the world.

Can we get a bit more systematic about this?  There are three of us here
who are thinking about buying Gateway 2000 386 systems, and we would
love to hear some reports from owners.  Email and I'll summarize to the
net.

Thanks --

  Glenn Davis Stone                BITNET stone@cunixc
  Columbia University            INTERNET stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

mcmillan@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) (04/01/91)

A week ago Friday, I ordered a 386-33 with 4Mb, a 200Mb disk, and the
other goodies listed in their recent ads for $2995 ($200 less than
their ad states) plus $100 for shipping (and extra profit).  The
salesman informed me that the system would probably be shipped within
3 to 5 days and would be shipped UPS or FedEx second day air.  On
Thursday (6 days) I received a packet from Gateway containing my
warranty and customer service info including the names and phone
numbers of the people to call for service or tech support.  It also
specified my expected shipping date as March 29 (Friday).  On Friday,
I received a call stating that the order had been shipped and I was
told the UPS shipping numbers.  He said to expect delivery on Monday.
Since there appears to be enough net interest, I will let you know how
things turn out when I receive the machine.  So far, except for the
fact that the computer was shipped two days later than the salesman
expected, all written and verbal communication from Gateway has been
first-class.  We'll see how it goes once I get the stuff.

On another topic, I have seen some discussion of the name of The X
Window System.  Well, here in the CIS dept. at OSU we have about 350
Sun and HP workstations running The X Window System with at least a
thousand users including all students, faculty, and staff, and
basically just about everyone calls it "X".  That's it... just "X".
Ocasionally, one might hear "X windows, but I don't think that in the
two and a half years that I have been here I have heard anyone say "X
window" when referring to the system.  So I don't think anyone has to
be too concerned about what they call it.
--
Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu |  only under ideal conditions.  Which means never.