[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Math Type for the PC

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (03/28/91)

Has anyone used Math TYpe by Design Science for the IBM PC?  It is a
WYSIWYG equation editor for the PC which works in Windows.  I am
particularly interested as to anyone who has used it in Word for
Windows.

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (03/28/91)

A co-worker just got Math Type and we've been playing with it for the past
two days.  There were some bugs with it driving a Laserjet III which the
documentation stated would be fixed in the next release.  As far as
functionality is concerned, it works pretty well for what it was intended.
It seems pretty similar to another product (by some other company) for the
Mac (I know that sounds vague, but I try to know as little about the Mac as
possible :-)

IMHO, I'd have sent it back since it didn't drive the LJ III properly (which
I have) my co-worker hasn't decided yet.  Of course, I'd much rather be able
to type in equations in LaTeX form instead of building a graphics insert.
It's a shame nobody seems interested in developing that kind of solution yet.
(Micro$oft are you listening?)

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (03/29/91)

In article <5545@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) writes:
>Has anyone used Math TYpe by Design Science for the IBM PC?  It is a
>WYSIWYG equation editor for the PC which works in Windows.  I am
>particularly interested as to anyone who has used it in Word for
>Windows.

I understand that MathType for the PC will be reviewed in
the Computers and Mathematics column in an upcoming issue of
the _Notices of the American Mathematical Society_.  When?
I'm not exactly sure.  MathType for the Mac will also be
reviewed there, probably next month.

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (04/02/91)

>Has anyone used Math TYpe by Design Science for the IBM PC?  It is a
>WYSIWYG equation editor for the PC which works in Windows.  I am
>particularly interested as to anyone who has used it in Word for
>Windows.

I am seriously considering buying this product to use with WfW. I
called the company and they told me that the program builds the
equations as graphics which are added to WfW as pictures. It seems
to me that this should work fine. Their number is (213) 433-0685.

tom