[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is DESQview/X released yet ?

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (03/16/91)

Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
This seems to be a very interesting program because it
implements running both a Xserver and Xclients.
The advertised possibility to run msdos-programs as Xclients
should make it possible to run pc-hardware dependent from other
Xwindows system.

Please e-mail information about DESQview/X.

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (03/20/91)

>>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?

There is a Fidonet echo I carry that is dedicated to DESQview.  A fellow
from QOS participates and just this week he stated that the only thing
released to date was a booklet of some sort, I forget now.
--
 __  fordke@ingr.com, ...!uunet!ingr!{fordke,infonode!umagic!sysop}
/  \ Micro Magic CBCS  1:373/12  (205)830-2362  sysop@umagic.fidonet.org

mdv@domain.com (Mike Verstegen) (03/21/91)

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:

>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
[...]

No. DV/X is not released yet. The developers at QD are working on QEMM
and DV for DOS 5.0 (which has a higher priority). Once that is done, then
they will go back to DV/X. My guess is that the beta testers will start
to get copies in July (I say hopefully).

(This information is based on feedback given to beta test sites and is not
official QD info.)
--
Mike Verstegen          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!mdv     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (03/22/91)

>Please summarise. This *is* a very interesting program.

I have a 44-page document titled, "DESQview/X - A Technical Perspective," that
I obtained from Quarterdeck Office Systems.  I have never seen such
comprehensive documentation of a product before it is released.  So, for a
little typing exercise during lunch, here is some stuff from the front of the
document.

DESQview/X:
----------
o  Is an extension to Quarterdeck's popular multitasking DOS environment.
o  Provides users with a consistent growth path for DOS via DESQview and
   DESQview 386 to DESQview/X.
o  Allows DOS machines to participate in industry standard, multivendor, multi-
   operating system, distributed processing.
o  Gives Unix X Window users access to many off-the-shelf DOS software
   packages.
o  Gives DOS users access to Unix X Window Clients.
o  Gives DOS users access to more powerful DOS programs that are not capable of
   being run on their machine.
o  Provides developers with an "open", graphical user interface.
o  Provides X Client developers and manufacturers access to the huge installed
   base of DOS machines.

Specifically, it:
----------------
o  Provides a graphical interface.
o  Gives users a choice of interfaces (window managers) - the OSF/Motif
   manager, an Open Look style or DESQview's own DWM are prime examples.
o  Allows users to run many off-the-shelf DOS applications in graphic windows.
o  May run either as a stand-alone or a networked system.
o  Allows local users to display and use Unix graphical applications (X
   Clients) that are running on another machine on a network.
o  Allows local users to display and use many off-the-shelf DOS applications
   that are running on another machine on a network.
o  Allows local users to display and use DOS Clients written for X (graphical
   applications) that are running on another machine on a network.
o  Allows X Window Unix users to display and use many off-the-shelf DOS
   applications that are running on another DOS machine on a network.
o  Provides developers a platform to port X Clients from Unix to DOS.
o  Allows developers to create X Clients in a DOS environment for later porting
   to other operating systems using the X Window System.
o  Gives developers a choice of application styles - Motif, Open Look and
   others - or the freedom to design their own.

bodoh@cat4.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Bodoh) (03/23/91)

In article <84380006@hpfcmdd.hp.com> edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) writes:
>>Please summarise. This *is* a very interesting program.
>
>I have a 44-page document titled, "DESQview/X - A Technical Perspective," that
>I obtained from Quarterdeck Office Systems.

How does one get a copy of this document?  And when is DV/X going to be
released?

aed@netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) (03/23/91)

>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
[...]

In general I am very disapointed. I saw a demo of this last year at
the Xhibition. I imagine quarter deck will be there again this year
to. I think this product might turn out the way os2 did. Many years
late and many dollars short

Andy
                  "bede-bede-bede Thats all Folks"
				Porky Pig
Andy Davidson
Woodside CA.
aed@netcom.COM

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.222617.29397@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> bodoh@cat4.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Bodoh) writes:
>How does one get a copy of this document?

  The booklet on DV/X has appeared as inserts in several magazines. I
got mine as part of Dr Dobbs. I believe Byte also carried it. It is
also available direct from Quarterdeck Office Systems, 150 Pico
Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405, +1 213 392 9851.

> And when is DV/X going to be
>released?

  As of a week ago a technical supportperson from QOS was saying
sometime in April of this year.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

mikep@mcs213h.cs.umr.edu (Mike Prather) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar23.005445.22000@netcom.COM> aed@netcom.COM (Andrew Davidson) writes:
>>Does anyone know the status of DESQview/X ?
>[...]
>
>In general I am very disapointed. I saw a demo of this last year at
>the Xhibition. I imagine quarter deck will be there again this year
>to. I think this product might turn out the way os2 did. Many years
>late and many dollars short

WHY were you disappointed?

>Andy

Mike

 			Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
mikep@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu				Standard Disclaimer

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson) (03/27/91)

I saw DESQview/X at the FOSE show in Washington DC in mid
March.  It was hung when I got to the booth and hung when
I came back later.  Didn't seem too robust.

I don't think it is released yet.  At least I hope not
from what I saw.

I wish them luck though.  It is a great idea.  I would
love to have some PC clients displaying to my Sun.

| Ken Nelson  (nelson@wrl.epi.com) | No thoughts today, sorry.	     |
| Computer Systems Manager         |				     |
| Entropic Research Laboratory     |				     |
| Washington, D.C.		   |				     |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------

fwb@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Frank Bennett) (03/29/91)

800 dollars? We will all lose interest quickly.

Anybody checked out the X-Server from:

	Hummingbird Communication Ltd.
	2900 john Street, Unit 4
	Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 5G3
	(416)470-1203 fax(416)470-1207

I have their flier, sorry no pricing.

	o your PCs become color X treminals
	o 640k, VGA up to IBM8514A 1280x1024x8
	o if more memory is present, it can be used via LIM or XMS driver
	o TCP/IP transport
	o interacts simultaneously with up to 16 clients running on
          (other) hosts in a full-windowed environment
	o Clients are Unix, but then there are no PC X clients
	o Server extensions for accessing DOS file structures
Frank Bennett

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (04/02/91)

Frank> 800 dollars? We will all lose interest quickly.

Frank> Anybody checked out the X-Server from:

.
.
.
Frank> 	o Clients are Unix, but then there are no PC X clients

Yes, but that's the point of DesqView/X: you can write PC X clients and you
can run normal PC programs as if they were X clients.

--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi