[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Zapping a partition

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (04/02/91)

In article <valley.670507690@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>crosenberg@cdp.UUCP writes:
>

>>Somehow we've gotten a huge non-dos partition on our hard
>>drive.  FDISK and Norton refuse to delete it.  I've tried to
>>mess up the partition table with DEBUG but am either missing
>>it, or there is an extra copy I don't know about...anyway
>>FDISK still keeps seeing that non-dos partition.
>
>>Is there a program that will zap it?  Does anyone know how
>>to totally munge the partition table and all copies so that
>>nothing can recognize them? (we are beyond caring about
>>the data).
>
>Well, there is always low-level formatting...
>
>But seriously, I've often wondered if there was a program that would
>just edit the partition table w/o regard to who supposedly "owns" a
>given paritition.  Is there?

I use a version of FDISK written for the Minix operating system that
tries to recognize all partition types, DOS, OS/2, MINIX, XENIX, etc.
Mail me it you want it.

Mike Ching
ching@amd.com

tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel) (04/03/91)

>>Somehow we've gotten a huge non-dos partition on our hard
>>drive.  FDISK and Norton refuse to delete it.
>>
>>Is there a program that will zap it?

Our Tandon DOS offers a utility that replaces FDISK called FXPREP.  It has
an undocumented option "-s" that we call "slam mode": it will allow one to
delete any partition.

--
Tom Friel      | Tandon Computer Corporation           |   (805)  |
tom@quad1.UUCP | 609 Science Drive Moorpark, CA  93021 | 378-7881 |