[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] KX-P1124 buffer

aa581@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Sandra Rozhon) (03/30/91)

I was unable to send email to cgaeth@amsaa.cleo.brl.mil.bitnet
so am replying here

    Subject: Buffer for KX-P1124 printer

    You can buy a buffer for your printer from:

    Microprocessors Unlimited
    918-267-4961

    Ask for chip number:  Hitachi # 62256LP-12

    Instructions are NOT included, so when installing, half moon on chip
    will face towards the back.  It fits on the far left side of the
    other two chips that are already installed.  Hardest part of this whole
    process is getting into the printer!

    Pop off the front panel by inserting a flat head screwdriver in the
    top outer edge of the seam between the panel and top plastic molding
    (look where it says Panasonic KX-P1124 -- just above is a seam.)

    To "enable" the buffer, you must set it up each time you turn it on
    (unless you can figure out a way to create a macro -- if so, let me
    know!).  Press FUNCTION while you turn the printer ON.  If you don't
    hold down the FUNCTION button, the printer will never let you access
    the 7th row setting for the buffer!

    Initial setup mode for the buffer is 7th row / 1st column.  Press SET,
    then FUNCTION and your buffer will be enabled.  These steps are
    absolutely necessary for using downloadable fonts, not sure if you
    need it otherwise.

    Save these instructions -- none of this is easily found in the manual.
    It's there, but just not immediately locatable.

    Sandra Rozhon (aa581@cleveland.freenet.edu)

metzger@cup.portal.com (David G Metzger) (03/30/91)

A couple of comments on installing the KX-P1124 printer buffer:

>From: aa581@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Sandra Rozhon)
>Subject: KX-P1124 buffer
>Date: 29 Mar 91 17:40:26 GMT
>
>I was unable to send email to cgaeth@amsaa.cleo.brl.mil.bitnet
>so am replying here
>
>    Subject: Buffer for KX-P1124 printer
>
>    You can buy a buffer for your printer from:
>
>    Microprocessors Unlimited
>    918-267-4961
>
>    Ask for chip number:  Hitachi # 62256LP-12
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
           This is a fairly common chip, and is not hard to find.
           I just bought one locally for $6. (Many thanks to Chris
           Gaeth who forwarded the chip number to me after someone
           replied to his query.)

>    Instructions are NOT included, so when installing, half moon on chip
>    will face towards the back.  It fits on the far left side of the
                           ^^^^
           I can't remember which way it goes, but there is a outline
           on the board which clearly shows which way it goes.

>    other two chips that are already installed.  Hardest part of this whole
>    process is getting into the printer!
>
>    Pop off the front panel by inserting a flat head screwdriver in the
>    top outer edge of the seam between the panel and top plastic molding
>    (look where it says Panasonic KX-P1124 -- just above is a seam.)
>
>    To "enable" the buffer, you must set it up each time you turn it on

            You only have to do this once.  The printer retains the
            setting in nonvolatile ram.  You can get a listing of the
            default settings by getting into the "Initial Setup Mode,"
            as Sandra described below, choosing row 7 (=all of the row leds
            lit,) and then pressing "set."  This will cause the printer
            to print a list of all the "initial" settings.  See the
            manual, section 3.3, pages (3-12)-(3-16).

>    (unless you can figure out a way to create a macro -- if so, let me
>    know!).  Press FUNCTION while you turn the printer ON.  If you don't
>    hold down the FUNCTION button, the printer will never let you access
>    the 7th row setting for the buffer!
>
>    Initial setup mode for the buffer is 7th row / 1st column.  Press SET,
>    then FUNCTION and your buffer will be enabled.  These steps are
>    absolutely necessary for using downloadable fonts, not sure if you
>    need it otherwise.
>
>    Save these instructions -- none of this is easily found in the manual.
>    It's there, but just not immediately locatable.

           Yes, the manual is not very explicit in this regard, but
           the manual I'm now looking at has a reference card in the
           back which is helpful. This printer also came with a large,
           clear and detailed, laminated "cheat sheet" which shows how
           to use the "Initial Setup Mode" on one side, and how to use
           the "Function Mode" on the other.

>    Sandra Rozhon (aa581@cleveland.freenet.edu)

                                   David Metzger
                                   metzger@cup.portal.com
                                   sun!portal!cup.portal.com!metzger

bruceh@servprod.inel.gov (Bruce Hiltbrand) (04/03/91)

I am curious, is this the same chip used in the upgrade for the KX-P1180.
If not does anyone know what the number on the chip for the 1180 is.  I
would like to put in the buffer upgrade, but I don't want to spend the
$49.00 I've seen advertised.
Please let me know, any information anyone has on the subject.
Thanks in advance.
   Bruce Hitbrand (bruceh@servprod.inel.gov)

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr03.154957.23409@pmafire.inel.gov> bruceh@servprod.inel.gov (Bruce Hiltbrand) writes:
>I am curious, is this the same chip used in the upgrade for the KX-P1180.
>If not does anyone know what the number on the chip for the 1180 is.  I
>would like to put in the buffer upgrade, but I don't want to spend the
>$49.00 I've seen advertised.
>Please let me know, any information anyone has on the subject.
>Thanks in advance.
>   Bruce Hitbrand (bruceh@servprod.inel.gov)

I have Panasonic KX 1124 and I bought the 32k buffer chip from States.
The instruction states that it works for various other systems including
1180 and provides a separate diagram for disabling printer and installation.
BUT the price was $20US, not $50... The main reason for purchasing this
chip was because it allows to download fonts which I hope I will design,
which can be combinations of NLQ and Draft fonts. It works fine as a
printer buffer though...

-TG