[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] the Am386

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/12/91)

I just saw an Am386(tm) running at 33 MHz. It ran flawlessly and even
more interesting was when I put my finger on the package. I expected to
get burnt but it was almost cold, nearly room temperature. At 33 MHz!
Anyone want a 33 MHz laptop?

If device temperature is related to reliability and lifetime, then the
Am386(tm) should be good in these areas.

(Am386 is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices)
(I do not speak for the company, this is only my personal opinion.)

--
The government is not your mother.
The government doesn't love you.

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) (03/20/91)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

> I just saw an Am386(tm) running at 33 MHz. It ran flawlessly and even
> more interesting was when I put my finger on the package. I expected to
> get burnt but it was almost cold, nearly room temperature. At 33 MHz!
> Anyone want a 33 MHz laptop?
>
> If device temperature is related to reliability and lifetime, then the
> Am386(tm) should be good in these areas.
>
> (Am386 is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices)
> (I do not speak for the company, this is only my personal opinion.)
>
> --
> The government is not your mother.
> The government doesn't love you.

Ok bud, I read this same message referring to the Am486(tm) as well.
You must be working for (Am).  It would be more creative for you to not
copy the same message with alterations.  And another thing, why should I
buy a AMD product if there might be incompatibility problems?

Btw, is Advanced Micro Devices the same company that makes the AMD i386
chip that Intel makes?

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/24/91)

In article <asm3y2w164w@infopls.chi.il.us> greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
|>phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
|>
|>> I just saw an Am386(tm) running at 33 MHz. It ran flawlessly and even
|>> more interesting was when I put my finger on the package. I expected to
|>> get burnt but it was almost cold, nearly room temperature. At 33 MHz!
|>> Anyone want a 33 MHz laptop?
|>>
|>> If device temperature is related to reliability and lifetime, then the
|>> Am386(tm) should be good in these areas.
|>>
|>> (Am386 is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices)
|>> (I do not speak for the company, this is only my personal opinion.)
|>>
|>> --
|>> The government is not your mother.
|>> The government doesn't love you.
|>
|>Ok bud, I read this same message referring to the Am486(tm) as well.
|>You must be working for (Am).  It would be more creative for you to not
|>copy the same message with alterations.  And another thing, why should I
|>buy a AMD product if there might be incompatibility problems?
|>
|>Btw, is Advanced Micro Devices the same company that makes the AMD i386
|>chip that Intel makes?

I think that accusation was unnecessary, since maybe he saw both the Am486
and the Am386....however, the Am486 is officially rumor. :-)

The Am386 does NOT have ANY known compatibility problems.  InfoWorld, PC
Week, and Byte have all done extensive testing, and there are practically
no differences in speed.  And no compatibility problems (if it can run
UNIX/386, Paradox/386, ACAD/386, and Windows in enhanced mode I don't see
how it can possibly be incompatible).  Byte and InfoWorld have the same
parent company, so they might have had the same tests.

And whatyou refer to as the AMD i386 *IS* the Am386.  "i386" is a trademark
of Intel Corporation and thus AMD cannot use that name.  however, they may
use "386".

Brian

/*  I am NOT affiliated in any way with AMD.  I just have a respect for a*/
/*  company that has the balls to go against the monopoly that Intel has */
/*  since Intel is ripping off consumers and the industry.               */

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) (03/25/91)

In article <27607@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>And whatyou refer to as the AMD i386 *IS* the Am386.  "i386" is a trademark
>of Intel Corporation and thus AMD cannot use that name.  however, they may
>use "386".

Interesting to note, Intel screwed up and only registered 'i386' as a
trademark, but not '386'.  With the 486, they've learned their lesson--the
following are all Intel registered trademarks: 80486, i486, 486.

An interesting analogy exists:  Pharmaceutical's frequently are developed by
one company, which sells it at a high price to recoup (supposedly) their
initial investment in the R&D necessary to bring the product to market.  Some
time after the original (brand-name) medicine has been on the market, other
companies manufacture and sell at a (much) lower price an equivalent (not
identical) medicine.  The differences are frequently different binding agents,
or what-have-you.  This causes the original company to lower their price,
although not to the level of the generics.  Take Motrin, for instance.  Motrin
is the brand name, and was developed by whoever developed it.  After some time,
several generic companies started producing their-named ibuprofen (note, the I
is not capitalized) tablets for less.  Motrin's price came down, and some
people still take Motrin--although lots of people save money on the generics.
I hope things work out that allows 'generic' computer components...I sure can't
afford a 386 machine as it is now.

But anyway, hooray for AMD!

+ Adam Goldberg                         Bitnet:   tabu6@ISUVAX.BITNET        +
+ Iowa State University                 Internet: tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU    +
+ H: (515) 233-5135
+          "It's simple!  Even a Pascal programmer could do it!"             +

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (03/25/91)

Guys !

Has the 386 price came down yet ?  I believe I remember that before
Am386 hit the market, everyone was moarning that Intel was monopolising
the whole 386 market and charging a premium for the chip. Everyone was
hoping that when AMD enter the market, the price will drop substantially
and that we will not have a chip with an obscene price.

Is the Am386 officially in the market yet ? I am still seeing very high
market price for Intel 386-33 here in Singapore.

Are we having a situation where, "Instead of one company milking the
industry, now we have two to do the job ???".   :-(

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>
** Definitely not my emplayer's opinion.

tester@cmcl2.nyu.edu (L Testerville) (03/25/91)

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>Interesting to note, Intel screwed up and only registered 'i386' as a
>trademark, but not '386'.  With the 486, they've learned their lesson--the
>following are all Intel registered trademarks: 80486, i486, 486.
                                                ^^^^^        ^^^
Sorry, even Intel can't trademark NUMBERS.  You possibly mean iAPX486,
the 80486' official designation.

>But anyway, hooray for AMD!

Yes, let's all put our hands together for AMD.  Bringing prices to a
more reasonable level.  Though still murderous at best, it doesn't come
close to the genocide that Intel has reaped upon the x86 faithful...
;-)

  \\Lee

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (03/26/91)

In article <asm3y2w164w@infopls.chi.il.us> greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
>And another thing, why should I
>buy a AMD product if there might be incompatibility problems?

I certainly don't work for AMD, but I have heard many things about the
Am386.  A year ago, I doubted very much that ANYBODY could clone the
'386...and get it right.  Today, I sing a different tune.  Since you
(the poster) have access to the same information I do, as in newspapers,
trade magazines, etc. I won't bother to restate what has been printed
in those sources.  Likewise, from your statement I can assume that you
have not read that information.  If you had, you too would conclude that
the Am386 will be 100% compatible with the '386.

>Btw, is Advanced Micro Devices the same company that makes the AMD i386
>chip that Intel makes?

Since Intel is the sole source of the '386, I think they would be very
interested if anybody were making pirate copies of the i386.  I hate
to say this (especially on a public forum like this), but obviously
the poster is not well informed, or does not keep up with current
information.

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/26/91)

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
>Ok bud, I read this same message referring to the Am486(tm) as well.
>You must be working for (Am).  It would be more creative for you to not
>copy the same message with alterations.  And another thing, why should I

What are you talking about?

--
Sun PC-NFS: for the engineer who really want a Sun and got a PC.

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.050646.8556@cmcl2.nyu.edu>, tester@cmcl2.nyu.edu (L Testerville) writes:
>tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>>Interesting to note, Intel screwed up and only registered 'i386' as a
>>trademark, but not '386'.  With the 486, they've learned their lesson--the
>>following are all Intel registered trademarks: 80486, i486, 486.
>                                                ^^^^^        ^^^
>Sorry, even Intel can't trademark NUMBERS.  You possibly mean iAPX486,
>the 80486' official designation.
>
>>But anyway, hooray for AMD!

What the heck do I know anyway.  According to Intel advertisements I've seen,
it sure does look like they've claimed a trademark for '486'.  Though I could
be wrong about 80486, though not i486.

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (03/26/91)

tester@cmcl2.nyu.edu (L Testerville) writes:

>Sorry, even Intel can't trademark NUMBERS.  You possibly mean iAPX486,
>the 80486' official designation.

Not sure but I think they CAN do this within a specific context, e.g. for
CPU chips.  Which means someone can still use (and trademark) "486" for,
say, a hamburger restaurant chain.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                              \

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/28/91)

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) writes:
>I certainly don't work for AMD, but I have heard many things about the
>Am386.  A year ago, I doubted very much that ANYBODY could clone the
>'386...and get it right.  Today, I sing a different tune.  Since you

Certain industry analysts have claimed that a knowledge of the 286
is the important factor in cloning the 386. I leave it to you to
guess how well AMD, who has undisputed rights to the 286, knows
the 286.

--
US Supreme Court: confessions extracted under torture are admissible.

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (03/28/91)

In article <162@altos86.Altos.COM>, rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) writes...
>In article <asm3y2w164w@infopls.chi.il.us> greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
>>And another thing, why should I
>>buy a AMD product if there might be incompatibility problems?
>>

>I certainly don't work for AMD, but I have heard many things about the
>Am386.  A year ago, I doubted very much that ANYBODY could clone the
>'386...and get it right.  Today, I sing a different tune.  Since you
>(the poster) have access to the same information I do, as in newspapers,
>trade magazines, etc. I won't bother to restate what has been printed
>in those sources.  Likewise, from your statement I can assume that you
>have not read that information.  If you had, you too would conclude that
>the Am386 will be 100% compatible with the '386.
>
>>Btw, is Advanced Micro Devices the same company that makes the AMD i386
>>chip that Intel makes?
>
>Since Intel is the sole source of the '386, I think they would be very
>interested if anybody were making pirate copies of the i386.  I hate
>to say this (especially on a public forum like this), but obviously
>the poster is not well informed, or does not keep up with current
>information.

     I believe that IBM has the right to produce the 80386.  I don't
know if they actually make them.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (03/28/91)

Pharmaceuticals drop in price when the original patent expires (after
seventeen years) and everybody can manufacture the drug.  There was a
lot of publicity when this happened to Valium a few years back.

CPU designs, by contrast, are protected by trade secret, copyright, and
occasionally a process patent.  There's no clock counting the days
until the inventor loses all rights, so you won't see the same dramatic
burst of competition and price drop in this field.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) (04/02/91)

tester@cmcl2.nyu.edu (L Testerville) writes:

>tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) writes:
>>Interesting to note, Intel screwed up and only registered 'i386' as a
>>trademark, but not '386'.  With the 486, they've learned their lesson--the
>>following are all Intel registered trademarks: 80486, i486, 486.
>                                                ^^^^^        ^^^
>Sorry, even Intel can't trademark NUMBERS.  You possibly mean iAPX486,
>the 80486' official designation.

>>But anyway, hooray for AMD!

>Yes, let's all put our hands together for AMD.  Bringing prices to a
>more reasonable level.  Though still murderous at best, it doesn't come
>close to the genocide that Intel has reaped upon the x86 faithful...
>;-)

>  \\Lee

This is not intended as a flame.  I post it for informational purposes
only.

I have before me an Intel advertisement from the January 29 issue of
PC Magazine.  To quote from the ad: "486 is a trademark of Intel
Corporation."  Also where the number 486 appears in the ad the small TM
trademark symbol follows the number.

  Phil Roberts           |      Internet:  proberts@disk.uucp

jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) (04/02/91)

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes:

   >Since Intel is the sole source of the '386, I think they would be very
   >interested if anybody were making pirate copies of the i386.  I hate
   >to say this (especially on a public forum like this), but obviously
   >the poster is not well informed, or does not keep up with current
   >information.

	I believe that IBM has the right to produce the 80386.  I don't
   know if they actually make them.

They have not to date, but a recent article (in the Wall Street Journal,
I believe -- I will look it up if someone is massively interested)
suggested that IBM will begin to produce its own in order to give it
better profit margins.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/03/91)

proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) writes:

>I have before me an Intel advertisement from the January 29 issue of
>PC Magazine.  To quote from the ad: "486 is a trademark of Intel
>Corporation."  Also where the number 486 appears in the ad the small TM
>trademark symbol follows the number.

	The TM symbol means only that someone has claimed trademark
protection for the mark. It is not registered. In ruling that 386 is a
generic reference not subject to trademark, the judge has implied, by
extension, that 486 cannot be trademarked either.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/03/91)

In article <3360016@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com> plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
>Has the 386 price came down yet ?  I believe I remember that before
>Am386 hit the market, everyone was moarning that Intel was monopolising
>the whole 386 market and charging a premium for the chip. Everyone was
>hoping that when AMD enter the market, the price will drop substantially
>and that we will not have a chip with an obscene price.

Nope.  And it won't come down by very much.  Supply and demand set the
price in a free market system.  Right now, Intel cannot make 386 chips
fast enough to keep up with the demand.  Therefore, they can charge almost
anything they want.  When AMD starts making 386's, the price will come down
slightly, but the demand will still exceed the supply.  Why would AMD
dramatically lower the price when they can sell all they can produce at
Intel's prices?

Don't forget, AMD has to amortize their huge development costs.

}
}Are we having a situation where, "Instead of one company milking the
}industry, now we have two to do the job ???".   :-(

Yes.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/03/91)

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
>When AMD starts making 386's, the price will come down
>slightly, but the demand will still exceed the supply.  Why would AMD
>dramatically lower the price when they can sell all they can produce at
>Intel's prices?
>Don't forget, AMD has to amortize their huge development costs.

Never mind amortization.

The real question is: Do you want to see an Am486?

--

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (04/04/91)

 Do I want to see a Am486?  No, not particularly...
whereas I'm sure it'll strike a resounding blow for
freedom of invention and mankind will breathe easier
the 486 isn't something I personally need/want.  It
would be incredible however for AMD to create the
586 and leapfrog past Intel.  <grin>

("Hey wait, we were gonna invent the 586... you
scummy little...")

--
Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu