[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] How can I tell what kind of CPU I am running in

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (03/28/91)

Hi,

One of our hardware engineers asked me a question I don't have a good
answer for.  How do I tell from software what kind of CPU I am running
in.  In particular, how can I tell if I am running in a 386 or a 386-SX?
Pointers to source and/or files on SIMTEL etc greatly appreciated.

Frank

drp@buhub.bradley.edu (Douglas Pokorny) (04/04/91)

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:

>Hi,

>One of our hardware engineers asked me a question I don't have a good
>answer for.  How do I tell from software what kind of CPU I am running
>in.  In particular, how can I tell if I am running in a 386 or a 386-SX?
>Pointers to source and/or files on SIMTEL etc greatly appreciated.

Then again, I'd have to ask....

WHY DOES IT MATTER??  They're both '386 machines and can run the
same code.  (I don't care if they have different prefect instruction
caches -- that does not matter when it comes to executing code)

If the purpose of this request is so that you may write software which
will not run on a particular machine, it seems futile.

-Doug

(Flame all ya want...we'll make more)
(drp@buhub.bradley.edu)