[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSDOS 5.0

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (04/03/91)

  Where are you people getting MS-DOS 5.0 from?  Is it only available to
test users, or is MS really shipping?  And how much better is it than me
using MS-DOS 3.3, QEMM-386, and 4DOS?  (other than the drive partitioning
of course).  Is it really worth the ~$100 to upgrade?  Any
incompatibility problems, big improvements, etc?

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
     |  _____  |
      \   U   /
       "-----"

) (04/03/91)

In article <9ueTZ1w163w@mimas.UUCP>, vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) writes:
>   Where are you people getting MS-DOS 5.0 from?  Is it only available to
> test users, or is MS really shipping?  And how much better is it than me
> using MS-DOS 3.3, QEMM-386, and 4DOS?  (other than the drive partitioning
> of course).  Is it really worth the ~$100 to upgrade?  Any
> incompatibility problems, big improvements, etc?
>
>        _______
>       /       \
>      |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
>     <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
>      |  _____  |
>       \   U   /
>        "-----"
I saw an ad for DOS 5, but it have a price.  Can someone sum up the improvements
between DOS 3.3 and 5?  Is DOS 5 going to have the same compatibility problems
as DOS 4?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (04/04/91)

In article <9ueTZ1w163w@mimas.UUCP> vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) writes:

>  Where are you people getting MS-DOS 5.0 from?  Is it only available to
>test users, or is MS really shipping?  And how much better is it than me
>using MS-DOS 3.3, QEMM-386, and 4DOS?  (other than the drive partitioning
>of course).  Is it really worth the ~$100 to upgrade?  Any
>incompatibility problems, big improvements, etc?

MS-DOS 5.0 has got to be the most poorly kept secret in recent history.
So many beta test copies are floating around (actually they're at the
"Release Candidate" stage, so it'll be soon) that it seems =everyone=
is running an operating system that doesn't exist. Maybe Microsoft
intended it that way, as it allows infinitely more beta testers :-)

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: