[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] IBM dbase suggestion

at1x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan K. Tear, II) (04/04/91)

   I am looking for an IBM database program to handle about 5000+
records.  I would like to use it for an inventory and requisition
application.  It would need to search by several fields, and would be
good if it could link files.  Overall, it must be user friendly.  If
anyone has any suggestions, please reply to
                        Allan Tear
                        at1x@andrew.cmu.edu

russ@pmafire.inel.gov (Russ Brown) (04/05/91)

In article <8byTvN600WBKA1mnIK@andrew.cmu.edu> at1x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan K. Tear, II) writes:

>   I am looking for an IBM database program to handle about 5000+
>records.  I would like to use it for an inventory and requisition
>application.  It would need to search by several fields, and would be
>good if it could link files.  Overall, it must be user friendly.  If
>anyone has any suggestions, please reply to

One of the fastest, cheapest, and user-friendly systems is a flat-file,
with spreadsheet calculation capability, called File Express.  It is
available from:

  Expressware
  Box 1800
  Duvall, WA  98019
  800-753-3453

Older versions than the new release (Version 5.0) are still readily
available from the shareware distributors.  If you like it, buy it.
Highly recommended.

Version 5.0 now sells for 99$.  The shareware versions are usually less
than $10.

If you have more $$ and want something that will really spin your
wheels, try Q&A by Symantec.  Version 4.0 is about to be released.  Will
have more power and programming capability and a built-in word processor
that has been highly rated by itself.  Simply the best PC software that
I have ever used.  Has been listed in PC Magazine's "years best" and
received a 9.3 out of 10 from Infoworld.  FYI, Dbase (multitasking
version) received a 4-5 range rating.