[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hayes Smartmodem problems

olsonr@acfcluster.nyu.edu (04/02/91)

Hi everybody,

I am using a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 with Procomm 2.0. The folks at Datastorm
have not been able to provide an answer so I decided to get smart and ask
here. Does anyone know how to turn down (or off) the modem's speaker? The
thing is going all the time and my roommate is getting pretty sick of hearing
it. (And so am I, frankly). I know there is a command to put in the init
string that goes something like L(n) where n is the volume, but that doesn't
work. Should it be L=n? Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
olsonr@kramden.nyu.edu

afarkas@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Farkas) (04/03/91)

      Hope this helps.

      Andrew Farkas
      AFarkas@PUCC.Princeton.EDU

) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.104534.1@acfcluster.nyu.edu> olsonr@acfcluster.nyu.edu writes:
>I am using a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 with Procomm 2.0. The folks at Datastorm
>have not been able to provide an answer so I decided to get smart and ask
>here. Does anyone know how to turn down (or off) the modem's speaker? The
>thing is going all the time and my roommate is getting pretty sick of hearing
>it. (And so am I, frankly). I know there is a command to put in the init
>string that goes something like L(n) where n is the volume, but that doesn't
>work. Should it be L=n? Any help would be appreciated.

	The INIT string for the Hayes Smartmodem is:

 AT L(n)

  Where (n) is 0,1 or 2 to control the volume, however on Smartmodems
the level is not as distiguishable as on most *clones*.  A better way
of controlling the speaker is with the M command:

AT M(n)

  M0 - Speaker always off
  M1 - Speaker is off while recieving carrier  (usually default)
  M2 - Speaker is always on
  M3 - Speaker on only when ringing

  If you choose to shut off the speaker be sure to use X4 which will
monitor dialtone as well as return a BUSY...

---

  Steve Bibbo                       UUCP : bibbo@moncol.UUCP (The Monk!)
  Computer Operations               Internet: moncol!bibbo@princeton.edu
  Monmouth College                  CompuServe: 72657,602
  W Long Branch, NJ 07764           Voice: (908) 571-3559

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr2.104534.1@acfcluster.nyu.edu> olsonr@acfcluster.nyu.edu writes:

>I am using a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 with Procomm 2.0. The folks at Datastorm
>here. Does anyone know how to turn down (or off) the modem's speaker? The

Set the modem dial command to

	ATL0DT

or to turn the speaker off

	ATM0DT

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| Voice/Fax: (508) 670-2169