[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Which DOS should I use?

dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) (03/29/91)

I am buying a new 386DX/25 with a 130MEG hard drive.  I am not
sure which DOS version to get.  I have a 286 w/65MEG drive now,
running 3.2.  Of course I have two 33MEG partitions which gives
me a C and D drive.  I really don't want to now have a C,D,E,F & F
drive.  I can get a copy of DOS 4.0 (IBM) for a good price (free)
but see a DOS 4.01 out there.  Will both of these let me "see"
the full size on the C prompt?  What was the differance between
4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP
from my sight :-(  Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

Dawdy@tellabs.com

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (03/31/91)

I have an AMI bios based Jameco clone.  I run Compaq DOS 3.31.  It
allows  over 32 Mbyte partitions, yet it is pretty small.  I have 590K
available for applications after DOS is loaded.

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (04/01/91)

In article <5707@tellab5.tellabs.com> dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:
>drive.  I can get a copy of DOS 4.0 (IBM) for a good price (free)
>but see a DOS 4.01 out there.  Will both of these let me "see"
>the full size on the C prompt?  What was the differance between
>4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP
>from my sight :-(  Any help would be great.

IBM DOS 4.0 is presumably similar to 4.01.  4.0 got a bad rep for being very
buggy, but that was IBM only -- all others have the worst probs fixed. IMHO,
the ONLY reason to have 4.x is drive partitioning.  It takes too much memory
and really adds very little to DOS 3.3.  If you can get Compaq DOS 3.31, it
has all the joys of DOS 3.3 plus large partitions.  4dos won't help, it is
just a command interpreter that runs on whatever DOS you booted with (though
it is far superior to anything Microsoft or IBM ever put out).  Wait and see
what DOS 5.0 does...

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!seattle!lsh -- lsh@seattle

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/02/91)

>the ONLY reason to have 4.x is drive partitioning.  It takes too much memory
>and really adds very little to DOS 3.3.  If you can get Compaq DOS 3.31, it
>has all the joys of DOS 3.3 plus large partitions.  4dos won't help, it is

Zenith DOS 3.3 Plus also has the above features,
plus a lot of nonstandard Zenith stuff, eg. a
Norton-like file editor/undeleter called GDI,
a low-level formatter called PREP, FDISK renamed
to PART, etc. I don't know how well it would
work on a non-Zenith.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/02/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>the ONLY reason to have 4.x is drive partitioning.  It takes too much memory
>>and really adds very little to DOS 3.3.  If you can get Compaq DOS 3.31, it
>>has all the joys of DOS 3.3 plus large partitions.  4dos won't help, it is
>
>Zenith DOS 3.3 Plus also has the above features,
>plus a lot of nonstandard Zenith stuff, eg. a
>Norton-like file editor/undeleter called GDI,
                                          ^^^
>a low-level formatter called PREP, FDISK renamed
>to PART, etc. I don't know how well it would
>work on a non-Zenith.

I believe it's called GDU.  It works great on a non-Zenith: In a
pinch last summer I used GDU on a NEC machine to find and eradicate
a virus (stoned).  Strangely enough, when I try to use it with
an earlier version of DOS, it comes back "WRONG DOS VERSION!" and
aborts, but when I tried to use it on my new computer just out of
curiosity, if worked fine--even though I have a LATER version of
DOS (4.01 instead of 3.3).

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/05/91)

In article <5707@tellab5.tellabs.com> dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:
>I am buying a new 386DX/25 with a 130MEG hard drive.  I am not
>sure which DOS version to get.  I have a 286 w/65MEG drive now,
>running 3.2.  Of course I have two 33MEG partitions which gives
>me a C and D drive.  I really don't want to now have a C,D,E,F & F
>drive.  I can get a copy of DOS 4.0 (IBM) for a good price (free)
>but see a DOS 4.01 out there.  Will both of these let me "see"
>the full size on the C prompt?  What was the differance between
>4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP

Let me recommend DR DOS 5.0 by Digital Research.  This is a fully
compatible MS-DOS replacement that has many more features than any
existing (shipping) version of MS-DOS.  One of the nicest features
it has is the ability to load-high a part of the operating system.
This frees up a big chunk of memory in the lower 640K region and
lets you run larger applications.

It lets you have disk partitions up to 512MB.  It has built-in command
line editing similar to dosed.  It comes with a screen editor much better
than edlin. The list of additional features is too long to list here; try
it, you'll like it.

I run DR DOS on my 386-33 and have found no compatibility problems at
all.  I've successfully run Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode and
DESQview 386 under DR DOS.

4DOS is not a DOS replacement.  It is a COMMAND.COM replacement.  It
still requires MS-DOS or DR DOS as the base OS.  I also highly
recommend 4DOS if you can find it (try your local BBS or shareware
distributor).

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway