[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] bizzare, contorted keyboards

fvesel@pro-nsdapple.cts.com (Frank Vesel) (04/04/91)

Why would you need an obnoxiously shaped keyboard?  I can imagine a market
for designer (i.e. swatch style) cpu cases, but cruel keyboards would be
darn annoying to those of us who touch type.  If you don't mind me asking,
what do you have planned?

----
ProLine:  fvesel@pro-nsdapple
Internet: fvesel@pro-nsdapple
UUCP:     crash!pro-nsdapple!fvesel
ARPA:     crash!pro-nsdapple!fvesel@nosc.mil

newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu (Mike Newton) (04/05/91)

fvesel@pro-nsdapple.cts.com (Frank Vesel) writes:
>Why would you need an obnoxiously shaped keyboard?  I can imagine a market
>for designer (i.e. swatch style) cpu cases, but cruel keyboards would be
>darn annoying to those of us who touch type.  If you don't mind me asking,
>what do you have planned?

I touch type about 60wpm. The ``obnoxiously shaped'' (nice value judgement!)
is much easier on the tendons in the forearm.  (Not the same problem as CTS.)
Try this: put both arms in front of you when sitting (and not near a kbd),
and just relax them... They hands end up partially facing each other.

Taking a normal keyboard and melting it so that the angle of the top of the
keys 'a' and 'f' would be -30degrees and ';' .. 'j' +30 degrees would be
great.   Something like:

                        f      g      h     j
                  d                               k
            s                                           l
      a                                                        ;

, partially to scale, with maybe a little more curvature would mean
a lot less pain for me!

- mike
newton@gumby.cs.caltech.edu