[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Turning off Modem speaker

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (04/01/91)

Hello All!

I am using a Microcom modem (AX/2400) and I would like to know how to
reduce (eliminate?) the modem's speaker.  I would prefer not to break
it open and actually disconnect it.

I called Microcom and they said that the only way was to use a PD
program such as silence.  Anyone know where I could FTP that?

We tried to use the ATS22 stuff to set the register for speaker
volume, but to no avail.  (It will not even recognize registers over
16).

Much thanks for any help.l

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the conclusion
\X/  Andrews |  is left unresolved."  - B. McLaughlin

sylve_ge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gerald E Sylvester) (04/01/91)

>I am using a Microcom modem (AX/2400) and I would like to know how to
>reduce (eliminate?) the modem's speaker.  I would prefer not to break
>it open and actually disconnect it.

If it is Hayes compatible, AT Lm controls the volume of the speaker with
m=1 lowest volume, m=2 medium and m=3 the loudest.  AT M0 turns the speaker
off and AT M1 turns the speaker back on.  If you want to turn the speaker
off indefinitely, send the modem the AT M0 command and then AT &W (to save
the AT M0 command to volitile memory).

Gerald Sylvester

SYLVE_GE@JHUNIX.HCF.JHU.EDU
SYLVE_GE@JHUNIX.BITNET

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (04/02/91)

Have you tried 'ATM0' ?

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (04/02/91)

Well, you can do this either "AT M0" or "AT L0".
If you do both, nothing will be heard from your modem.
Perhaps except some connection clicks.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

c60b-1eq@web-1e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/03/91)

In article <EDWONG.91Apr1222959@bucsf.bu.edu> edwong@bucsf.bu.edu writes:
>Well, you can do this either "AT M0" or "AT L0".
>If you do both, nothing will be heard from your modem.
>Perhaps except some connection clicks.

ATL0 will lower the speaker volume but it will _not_ turn the
speaker off.  Only ATM0 will do this.  The ATL command controls
speaker volume, and accepts an argument in the range 0 (low)
to 7 (high).

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) (04/04/91)

Actually, "ATM" is all you need. No quotes and all CAPS.

                          - mjb -

                       mjb@netcom.com

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (04/04/91)

Can you change the beep in the modem speaker like you can in the regular
speaker ?  Or run sound through it simultaneously through both ?
Stereo !!!

Chris B.

c60b-1eq@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/05/91)

In article <7872@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> sylve_ge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gerald E Sylvester) writes:
>>I am using a Microcom modem (AX/2400) and I would like to know how to
>>reduce (eliminate?) the modem's speaker.  I would prefer not to break
>>it open and actually disconnect it.
>If it is Hayes compatible, AT Lm controls the volume of the speaker with
>m=1 lowest volume, m=2 medium and m=3 the loudest.

Not quite; ATL0 produces the lowest volume, and ATL7 the highest.  Of
course you can choose something in between.

+==========================================================================+

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/05/91)

In article <Apr.1.08.59.27.1991.6398@u2.rutgers.edu>, andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

> I would like to know how to reduce (eliminate?) the modem's speaker.

If your beast responds to enough AT commands, try ATL0 (set speaker loudness
off) or one of the ATMn variations (I use ATM2 because I want the monitoring
on at all times, with ATL1 for loudness at the threshhold ofaudibility only).

-- Fred   <flinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (04/05/91)

c60b-1eq@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>In article <7872@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> sylve_ge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gerald E Sylvester) writes:
>>>I am using a Microcom modem (AX/2400) and I would like to know how to
>>>reduce (eliminate?) the modem's speaker.  I would prefer not to break
>>>it open and actually disconnect it.
>>If it is Hayes compatible, AT Lm controls the volume of the speaker with
>>m=1 lowest volume, m=2 medium and m=3 the loudest.

>Not quite; ATL0 produces the lowest volume, and ATL7 the highest.  Of
>course you can choose something in between.

	You must be using an extended AT command set. All the AT standard 2400
modems I ever used allow only L..L3.  BTW you don't have to explicitly state
M0, M will work quite nicely.

	Craig
	mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu