[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DesqView 386 Problem

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/02/91)

I'm running an original copy of DesqView 386 with manual and all, and
yet I can't figure out how to get into this mode the manual refers to
as "Virtual 8086 Mode" which should allow me to break the 640K
barrier.  I have an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX with, I believe, 2M of RAM
total (the DOS 4.01 MEM command shows 1.7M of EMS memory under QEMM,
and 1.2M of extended memory with 0 of that free.... I can't figure
that out either).

As it stands, I run one application (say, a terminal program) and when
I go into the DEsqview menu to start another one it tells me there's
not enough memory.  The memory status program shows "1736K of Common
Memory" but only 506K of Conventional Memory when nothing but the
status program itself is running.

The manual mentions Virtual 8086 Mode in passing at the beginning and
glosses over it for the rest of the manual.  How do I access it?

By the way, please respond in email.  I don't actually read
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc.  Thanks....

Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

No more bars!  No more cages!  Just rollerskating, disco music, and
the occasional light show....

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/04/91)

In article <4m.gk.p@rpi.edu> kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>I'm running an original copy of DesqView 386 with manual and all, and
>yet I can't figure out how to get into this mode the manual refers to
>as "Virtual 8086 Mode" which should allow me to break the 640K
>barrier.  I have an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX with, I believe, 2M of RAM
>total (the DOS 4.01 MEM command shows 1.7M of EMS memory under QEMM,
>and 1.2M of extended memory with 0 of that free.... I can't figure
>that out either).

You won't find anything in the manual about getting Desqview into
virtual 8086 mode because it does it automatically.  Virtual 8086
mode allows an 80386 processor to run multiple 8086 sessions.  Each
virtual 8086 session looks, to applications, just like a real 8086,
i.e. it has a 1MB address space (640KB under DOS).

Therefore, Desqview 386 doesn't let you "break the 640K barrier" as far
as individual applications are concerned.  What is does do is let you
have multiple 640K applications running simultaneously.

>As it stands, I run one application (say, a terminal program) and when
>I go into the DEsqview menu to start another one it tells me there's
>not enough memory.  The memory status program shows "1736K of Common
>Memory" but only 506K of Conventional Memory when nothing but the
>status program itself is running.

If you have Desqview 386 you also have QEMM386.  Use QEMM's optimize
feature to put as many drivers, TSR's, etc, into high memory and out
of the lower 640.

>The manual mentions Virtual 8086 Mode in passing at the beginning and
>glosses over it for the rest of the manual.  How do I access it?

As I said, you don't access it explicitly.  Desqview/QEMM puts the
processor into virtual 8086 mode and manages it transparently to
your applications.

>By the way, please respond in email.  I don't actually read
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc.  Thanks....

Perhaps it you did read this newsgroup, you might understand how
Desqview works...

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/05/91)

In article <4m.gk.p@rpi.edu> kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
<I'm running an original copy of DesqView 386 with manual and all, and
<yet I can't figure out how to get into this mode the manual refers to
<as "Virtual 8086 Mode" which should allow me to break the 640K

When you install QEMM, your machine then runs in V86 mode from that point on.
Ie.  You are already in "Virtual 8086 Mode"!

<barrier.  I have an IBM PS/2 Model 55SX with, I believe, 2M of RAM
<total (the DOS 4.01 MEM command shows 1.7M of EMS memory under QEMM,
<and 1.2M of extended memory with 0 of that free.... I can't figure
<that out either).

QEMM permits your EXTended memory to be used as either EXTended or EXPanded
memory, or any combination of both, on the fly.  To do this, it has to lie
a little, claiming that you have 1.7M of EXPanded memory *and* 1.2M (?)
of EXTended memory available at the same time.  You really only have about
1.2M of extra memory.  The 1.7M comes from the EMS 4.0 spec, which allows the
lower 640K to also be used as EMS.

<As it stands, I run one application (say, a terminal program) and when
<I go into the DEsqview menu to start another one it tells me there's
<not enough memory.  The memory status program shows "1736K of Common
<Memory" but only 506K of Conventional Memory when nothing but the
<status program itself is running.

Here is the problem.. someone goofed in the Desqview Setup.  Go back into
the Desqview Setup program and find the "Common Memory" entry.. change it
to something MUCH smaller, like 20K or so.  The name is somewhat misleading,
"common memory" is used by Desqview Programs for odds and ends (I dunno what),
and each window needs a couple of K of it, so 20K is plenty.  Doing this will
free up piles of XMS/EMS for more general purpose use.  Pretty silly, actually,
I think QEMM oughta pool the "Common memory" on demand from the same pot of
XMS/EMS, but it doesn't.
<
<The manual mentions Virtual 8086 Mode in passing at the beginning and
<glosses over it for the rest of the manual.  How do I access it?

Put QEMM386.SYS into your config.sys, and bingo.. there you have it,
whether or not you actually run Desqview afterwards.

<By the way, please respond in email.  I don't actually read

And this machine can't reliably send email, so too bad.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/06/91)

In article <4773@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:

   If you have Desqview 386 you also have QEMM386.  Use QEMM's optimize
   feature to put as many drivers, TSR's, etc, into high memory and out
   of the lower 640.

I don't use any TSR's and I think the only driver I use is QEMM itself.

   >By the way, please respond in email.  I don't actually read
   >comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc.  Thanks....

   Perhaps it you did read this newsgroup, you might understand how
   Desqview works...

I understand quite well how DesqView 386 and virtual 8086 mode work; I
didn't know it was an automatic thing with DV386.  All these kludgy
workarounds for getting multitasking to work on a PC are really
frustrating.  Hence the reason I never use them outside of the office.

I'm reading this group now, but probably not for much longer...

In article <6383@bwdls58.bnr.ca> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

   Here is the problem.. someone goofed in the Desqview Setup.  Go
   back into the Desqview Setup program and find the "Common Memory"
   entry.. change it to something MUCH smaller, like 20K or so.  The
   name is somewhat misleading, "common memory" is used by Desqview
   Programs for odds and ends (I dunno what), and each window needs a
   couple of K of it, so 20K is plenty.  Doing this will free up piles
   of XMS/EMS for more general purpose use.  Pretty silly, actually, I
   think QEMM oughta pool the "Common memory" on demand from the same
   pot of XMS/EMS, but it doesn't.

Thank you!  Good thing I read c.s.i.p.m for a day, 'cause all I'd
gotten in the mail was "Only 2 megs?  Ugh!" from about 5 different
people....