[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Running ISA bus at 12 MHz?

yiky@bmerh768.bnr.ca (YikHon Yu) (04/05/91)

Are there anyone running their ISA bus at 12 MHz?

I know my Trident TVGA 8900 will run at 12 MHz, but
I am not sure about my other cards:

   ST506/MFM 1:1 controller
   Microsoft mouse/bus version
   SoundBlaster
   AT multi I/O card
   Cardinal 2400B internal modem
   Stacker compression card

Will there be any reliability issues even if I can
run them at 12 MHz?

Please post your information as I cannot receive any
e-mail from outside of my company.

Yik

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.231824.11487@bmerh408.bnr.ca> yiky@bmerh768.bnr.ca (YikHon Yu) writes:

>Are there anyone running their ISA bus at 12 MHz?
>
>Will there be any reliability issues even if I can
>run them at 12 MHz?
>
>Yik

I use a DTK 386/25 running UNIX-- with the bus running at 12 mhz.  In it
I have ran:

	Western Digital 1006 hard drive controller (both MFM and RLL)
	Adaptec RLL Hard drive controller.
	CMS MIDI card
	Several internal 2400 baud modems (I've tried three or four)
	Hayes 1200 internal modem.
	Several I/O boards (I've tried about six)
	An (early model) ATI VGA wonder.
	WD8003 Ethernet board

I have NEVER found a board that will not run in it.  I dont doubt that
some older boards will not run in it-- but I dont put old boards in my
new-fangled 386.  If I did ever buy a board that would not work, I'd return
the board.

I have never had any problems running the bus at 12mhz-- and my machine
has been running 24 hours for the past two years.  I have ran hundreds of
programs on this machine.  Everthing from Flight simulator to Turbo C++ to
Novell Netware 386 to UNIX.

If you have to use the lame ISA bus-- you might as well use it at 12mhz.
--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) (04/06/91)

Is there any empirical data for perfmance improvements when running the
AT bus at 12 Mhz vs 8 Mhz?  What I really mean is, is the improvement linear?
Will 12 Mhz be exactly 1.5 times the transfer rate at 8 Mhz in real world
testing?

						Thanks in advance,
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554