[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSDOS 4.01 bug ??

linden@fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) (04/04/91)

 Hi,

 Take a look at this config.sys:

files=30
stacks=0,0
country=31,,\system\country.sys
shell=system\command.com c:\system /p
device=\system\emm386.sys 2432
rem buffers in expanded memory
buffers=20/x
rem cache in expanded memory
device=\system\smartdrv.sys /a

 Only an example,but it gives "Error in CONFIG.SYS line 7" after startup.
The error will appear with smartdrive version 2.10 (comes with msdos 4.01)
and smartdrive version 3.03 (comes with windows3).The order of the buffers=
and the smartdrv.sys statement doesn't matter (they should both be after the
expanded memory manager).
 The error will not appear if you use buffers=20 instead of buffers=20/x.
This brings me to the $0.02 question:
 Who is to blame for this behaviour:smartdrv.sys,msdos 4.01 or me ?

Onno van der Linden
linden@fwi.uva.nl

gerten@informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.161103.10405@fwi.uva.nl> (Onno van der Linden) writes:

>device=\system\emm386.sys 2432
                                P254=??? P255=???
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                You have to specify these
                                params (with appropriate values)

Look at the specification for emm386 and the needs for the
two special page, which are used by dos for buffers, append etc.

>rem buffers in expanded memory
>buffers=20/x
>rem cache in expanded memory
>device=\system\smartdrv.sys /a
>
> Only an example,but it gives "Error in CONFIG.SYS line 7" after startup.
>The error will appear with smartdrive version 2.10 (comes with msdos 4.01)
>and smartdrive version 3.03 (comes with windows3).The order of the buffers=
>and the smartdrv.sys statement doesn't matter (they should both be after the
>expanded memory manager).
> The error will not appear if you use buffers=20 instead of buffers=20/x.
>This brings me to the $0.02 question:
> Who is to blame for this behaviour:smartdrv.sys,msdos 4.01 or me ?
>
>Onno van der Linden
>linden@fwi.uva.nl

I hope, this helps.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Computer Science
D-6750 Kaiserslautern
Germany
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (04/06/91)

	(Onno van der Linden) writes:

>rem buffers in expanded memory
>buffers=20/x
>rem cache in expanded memory
>device=\system\smartdrv.sys /a

I think I remember reading in Quarterdecks's DESQview documentation that
even though you *can* have the buffers in expanded memory, they don't
recommend it.  I have had my buffers in conventional memory since that first
day and haven't had any problems.

Buffers is really a poor man's disk cache.  If you are running a real disk
cache like SMARTDRV, they also recommend lowering BUFFERS to 8 (I use 4 with
Super PC-Kwik and my performance is just fine).

Hope this helps.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-????

linden@fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) (04/07/91)

 OK, I think I should have investigated this weirdness a little better,before
complaining on the net about it.Thanks to all the people who responded.

 The config.sys looks like this:
files=30
stacks=0,0
country=31,,\system\country.sys
shell=system\command.com c:\system /p
device=\system\emm386.sys 2432
rem ramdrive 1024K expanded memory
device=\system\ramdrive.sys 1024 512 /a
rem buffers in expanded memory,1 16K page,spaces around '=' didn't matter here
buffers = 20/x
rem cache in expanded memory,wants all available expanded memory !!!
device=\system\smartdrv.sys /a
rem device=\sytem\smartdrv.sys <size> /a WORKS !!! (size <= 1392)
rem 1392 + 16 + 1024 = 2432.

 This will give "error in CONFIG.SYS line 9",unless the RIGHT amount of
expanded memory for smartdrv is specified.

 The Microsoft MS-DOS User's Guide and User's reference says:
(version 4.0,Appendix C:Installable Device Drivers,page 312)

"If you don't specify an amount of memory,smartdrv.sys uses 256K if it is
 installed in extended memory,or all of expanded memory if it is installed
 in expanded memory"

My observation: everything works fine if you are not using buffers=<n> /x,
combined with device=smartdrv.sys /a.

 Then I caught <gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> (Rainer Gerten) writing:
>In article <1991Apr3.161103.10405@fwi.uva.nl> (Onno van der Linden) writes:
>>
>>device=\system\emm386.sys 2432
>                                P254=??? P255=???
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                You have to specify these
>                                params (with appropriate values)

>Look at the specification for emm386 and the needs for the
>two special page, which are used by dos for buffers, append etc.

 This might be true,but I could only find some info on emm386.sys in the
Tulip MS-DOS manual,not in the Microsoft MS-DOS manual mentioned earlier.
The Tulip MS-DOS manual didn't mention the P254 and P255 parameters.
A very quick try gave "Invalid parameter".

Onno van der Linden
linden@fwi.uva.nl

mgphl@msa3b.UUCP (Michael Phillips) (04/07/91)

Sorry, Onno, I believe *you* are to blame... My DOS doc (aka: TFM ;-)
shows a space between the buffer count and the "/x" parameter.

I think that will solve your problem.

Michael G. Phillips - Dun & Bradstreet Software Services, Inc.
{...}!gatech!nanovx!msa3b!mgphl    (404) 239-2766