[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] The meaning of .lzh

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.165544.12792@santra.uucp> k26481s@saha.hut.fi  writes:
:
>What is the meaning of .lzh in the end of a file name?
>Does it mean, that the file is compressed, and if it does, what
>program does the decompression?
>
>Can such a program be found in some public-domain library?
>
>As you can see, I am a complete novice in this field, but I am not
>ashamed to confess that.
:

An extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq19.arc, available from our site.

13. *****
 Q: What is this file with this .zip (.arc, .arj, .lzh, .pak, .sdn,
.zoo) extension? What am I supposed to do to it?
 Q2: I can't run this file I got with a .zip extension.

 A: This is a total beginner's question, but never mind. One is
supposed to start from somewhere. These files with a .zip (.arc,
.arj, .lzh, .pak. .zoo) are compressed collections of files. You are
not supposed to run a compressed entity (often also called an
archive). You are supposed to unpack it first to extract the files
from within the package. For this you need the relevant (un)packing
program. You can find them in the /pc/pd2 and /pc/arcers directories
at the anonymous ftp site garbo.uwasa.fi, or at practically any fine
bulletin board. (After you have gotten them, they are very easy to
process, since most often these utilities are self-extracting). At
the time of writing this we have eg
  arc602.exe      SEA's .arc packing/unpacking system.
  arj110.exe      Robert Kung's .arj archiver
  lh113de.exe     Lharc for .lzh compression
  lha211.exe      LHa for .lzh compression, English version.
  pak251.exe      NoGate (un)packing for pak, arc, sdn, zip, files
  pk361.exe       This packed and unpacked .arc files fast
  pkz110eu.exe    PKZIP/PKUNZIP "Euroversion" with no encryption
  zoo201.exe      Zoo packing/unpacking facility from Rahul Dhesi
Once you are well familiar with unpacking and packing, there is an
excellent shell for running these utilities. It is called SHEZ and
is in version /pc/pd2/shez60c.zip at the time I wrote this item.
   Another advanced feature once you get the hang of this, is that
(most of) these are available in the Unix environment, as well. See
the /unix/ts directory at garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the Unix
versions.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

public@cc.tut.fi (PD Software Group) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.165940.12881@santra.uucp> k26481s@saha.hut.fi (Timo Jaakko Teinonen) writes:
>What is the meaning of .lzh in the end of a file name?
>Does it mean, that the file is compressed, and if it does, what
>program does the decompression?

.lzh means that the file is compressed with LHARC (old versions) or
LHA (new versions [2.0+]) program. LHA and LHARC are available on most
anonymous FTP sites - for example on 128.214.6.100 (nic.funet.fi or
something like that). I recommend a file called LHA211.EXE since it is
the newest lzh packer. It can decompress every .lzh file since older
versions of it can't do it.

--
Tapio Keih{nen
Mesihein{nkatu 2 B 6