[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Communication Program???

jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Beckham) (04/03/91)

Currently, I am using GT Powercomm v15.50 as my communications program.  It
has a very annoying user lock when I first run it, that pauses
(.03 * <The # of times the program has been run>) seconds.  I'm now up to about
10 seconds.  Does anyone have a copy of the program without the user lock at the
beginning?  Or, does anyone have any other communications programs that they
would recommend?  Thanks...

							- Jeff Beckham

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Jeff Beckham                                ::         /  ______  ____   ::

dbeedle@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Dave Beedle) (04/03/91)

    What features would you be interested in?  I personally use Qmodem
(4.2F) which has alot of features I like and it is public domain.
Registration fee is $30 I think.  This is one of the few PD programs I
fully intend to pay for.
     I changed from Procomm Plus.  The 'Test Drive' version is enough to get
most folks by and is not bad.  It also is PD.
     Qmodem is available from wuarchive.wustl.edu.

--
  Dave Beedle                                    Office of Academic Computing
                                                    Illinois State University

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr03.044845.5707@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> dbeedle@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Dave Beedle) writes:
>    What features would you be interested in?  I personally use Qmodem
>(4.2F) which has alot of features I like and it is public domain.
>Registration fee is $30 I think.  This is one of the few PD programs I
>fully intend to pay for.
>     I changed from Procomm Plus.  The 'Test Drive' version is enough to get
>most folks by and is not bad.  It also is PD.
>     Qmodem is available from wuarchive.wustl.edu.

Just to clarify, Qmodem and Procomm are *not* public domain, but
shareware. That means that you can copy them, but they are *not* free.
You are expected to pay for them if you use them. PD programs, such as
Freemacs, you don't have to pay for. (I *hope* I'm right about
Freemacs... !)

While we are on the topic, I strongly recommend Telix. If Zmodem is
important, Telix automatically picks up an incoming zmodem transfer,
and switches into zmodem receive mode. It has great terminal emulation
(though not as many term types as Procomm), and a good scripting
language. Its also pretty small...

I used to use it at both the DOS level and under windows till I got
Wincomm, which runs under windows.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

c60b-1eq@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.022115.16741@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Beckham) writes:
>Currently, I am using GT Powercomm v15.50 as my communications program.  It
>has a very annoying user lock when I first run it, that pauses
>(.03 * <The # of times the program has been run>) seconds.  I'm now up to about
>10 seconds.  Does anyone have a copy of the program without the user lock at the
>beginning?  Or, does anyone have any other communications programs that they
>would recommend?  Thanks...

Why not use a fresh copy of GT Powercomm?  As for a recommendation,
I would strongly consider you consider ProComm Plus, available as
a "test drive" version (1.1B) and a commercial version (2.0).

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA (Peter Scott/Order Unit Manager/U of Saskatchewan Library/6016) (04/04/91)

Jeff Beckham asks:

>Or, does anyone have any other communications programs that they would
> recommend?  Thanks...

I would recommend Telemate. Here's why:

Telemate is a full featured, flexible communications program with an
easy-to-learn-and-use integrated environment. With Telemate, you don't
need to use a separate editor, viewer and mouse driver to make smooth
communication. All these features are built into Telemate, and they are
accessible through menus and windows.

Telemate has multitasking features built in. While you are dialing or
downloading, you can prepare messages, view files, scroll back to the
last connection. Or you can have all of them at the same time; each
clearly runs in its own window.

The editor allows you to prepare your messages, edit documents or type
letters. And the viewer can display files as references without
influencing the editor. The very large back scroll buffer works just
like an editor, you can save parts of the contents to files, find text,
and even quote a message by pressing a few keys.

Through the clipboard you can cut and paste text among windows. You can
prepare a message in the editor and then copy and paste it to the
terminal.

Telemate has most of the popular protocols built-in, including Zmodem
and CompuserveQuickB. There are also four slots for external protocols.

Writing a Telemate script is as simple as writing a BASIC program. If
you don't have any experience with writing scripts, you can use the
"learn script" feature.

Without any additional hardware, Telemate lets you select a screen
height from 25 to 32 lines on your normal CGA adapter and seven choices
of screen height on an EGA or VGA adapter.

Telemate uses expanded memory, extended memory and EGA/VGA video RAM as
virtual memory to store data.

Requires 480K RAM
Costs $40

Telemate can be purchased from:

Mr. Tsung Hu
Box 938, Unit 105
St. Catherines
Ontario L2R 6Z4
Canada

Or purchased from PC-SIG: Disks 2341,2342,2343

Or downloaded by anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20 from the directory
PD:<MSDOS.MODEM>

TM211-1.ZIP "TeleMate background comm w/editor v2.11, 1of3"
TM211-2.ZIP "TeleMate background comm w/editor v2.11, 2of3"
TM211-3.ZIP "TeleMate background comm w/editor v2.11, 3of3"

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (04/05/91)

my 'perfect' communication program would need to support the followings:
1) internal kermit 1k, x,y,z modem
2) ansi, vt102, (vt220 preferred, but not required)
3) mouse and menus
4) 25, 43, 50 rows (or resizable + fonts if for Windows)
5) keyboard remapping, preferably the *whole* keyboard.
6) log script
7) file view/delete, exit to DOS
8) backscrolling at least 500 lines (or some 50K)
9) at least 19200bps, direct line connection.

the old pcplus is getting there, maybe the new one will just do what i wanted.
(can someone give me a list of new features of pcplus 2.0?)
qvt for windows is nearly adaquate, but it's too buggy and can only backscroll
about 100 lines (a serious limitation).
telemate is very close, but it's more suitable for bbs users.

so, to sum up, i'm still looking for my 'perfect' terminal program. :-)

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (04/08/91)

>Currently, I am using GT Powercomm v15.50 as my communications program.  It
>has a very annoying user lock when I first run it, that pauses
>.03 * <The # of times the program has been run>) seconds.  I'm now up to about
>10 seconds.  Does anyone have a copy of the program without the user lock at  e
>the beginning?

My recommendation is that you register your version of Powercomm and stop
cheating the author! You evidently have been using it for quite some time
without registering. Shareware is a great concept, but it needs people to
register their programs to continue. If authors don't get their money,
why are they going to write programs?

Either buy a commercial program outright or register your shareware. You have
had plenty of time to evaluate it.

+---------+ Scott Maxell  -- Bitnet   ->> IO92203 @ maine
+---------+ do, not what I tell it to do..."