[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What can you do with a PC game port?

mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) (03/30/91)

Hi all,

    I've got one of those "multi-IO" cards in my 386 box, and one of the
connectors is a game port.  Is it possible to do anything with this game
port other than use joysticks, etc?

    There are two analog inputs (resistance), correct?  Suppose I connect
a photocell across one and the temperature probe from a microwave oven
across the other; would I then be able to read the room temperature and
light intensity (assuming I've worked out the scaling of values)?

   Could someone mail me a list of the pin descriptions for the game port?

   Is it possible to OUTPUT anything through the game port?

   ...anything else I should know?

- Mark Fontana

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (03/30/91)

You can measure resistance from about 0 to 200K (which is what a joystick
is), or current from 0 to some few mA, or various other things. Also,
you *can* output through a game port, in an odd way: when the joystick
positions are sensed, a pulse appears.

I did an article about game ports for PC Tech Journal around 1985.
This should be in your library. It's just the beginning, but it does give
some nice temperature- and voltage-measuring circuits.

Oh, by the way, you have +5V and ground at the game port connector.
You could power all sorts of peripherals with it.
Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

ferguson@maitai.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) (03/31/91)

In article mumble mumble mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) writes:

>    I've got one of those "multi-IO" cards in my 386 box, and one of the
>connectors is a game port.  Is it possible to do anything with this game
>port other than use joysticks, etc?

There was an article in Byte several years back on how to turn your PC game
port into a 500kHz oscilloscope.  A small external board was required (a
couple of op amps I recall).

Dennis

panders@hubcap.clemson.edu (Paul F. Anderson) (04/01/91)

	I also have been wondering about the possible uses of a game
port.  I need an explanation of the pin outs and the expected range of
impedence.
	The pin outs as supplied in my 1/2 page of documenation are:
	   DB15S PIN
+5V		1
Button 4	2
Position 0	3
ground		4    5 is not listed?!
position 1	6
button 5	7
+5V		8
+5v		9
button 6	10
position 2	11
ground		12
position 3	13
button 7	14
+5vdc		15

	Thanks for any info.

panders@hubcap.clemson.edu
paulf@cs.clemson.edu

panders@clemson.clemson.edu   (checked regularly - twice a year)
--

larry@fungus.UUCP (Larry Ng) (04/02/91)

mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) writes:

>     There are two analog inputs (resistance), correct?  Suppose I connect
> a photocell across one and the temperature probe from a microwave oven
> across the other; would I then be able to read the room temperature and
> light intensity (assuming I've worked out the scaling of values)?
>
>    Could someone mail me a list of the pin descriptions for the game port?
>    Is it possible to OUTPUT anything through the game port?

Hey, I was thinking of that too! (Great minds think alike? ;-)
Could someone also send me those list of pin descriptions please?

Group		:Fungal Growth Engineering and Testing Range
Location	:Toronto, Ontario, Canada (44x N/79x W)
Organization	:Fungal Growth Club of Canada
UUCP Address	: ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!spocom!fungus!larry
or		: larry@fungus.UUCP
Ancient Chinese-Canadian Curse: May a 7% tax be on everything you see,
eat and hear.

cpawn@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Andrew W Nicholson) (04/04/91)

In article <q52RZ1w164w@fungus.UUCP> larry@fungus.UUCP (Larry Ng) writes:
>mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) writes:
>
>>     There are two analog inputs (resistance), correct?  Suppose I connect
>> a photocell across one and the temperature probe from a microwave oven
>> across the other; would I then be able to read the room temperature and
>> light intensity (assuming I've worked out the scaling of values)?
>>
>>    Could someone mail me a list of the pin descriptions for the game port?
>>    Is it possible to OUTPUT anything through the game port?
>
>Hey, I was thinking of that too! (Great minds think alike? ;-)
>Could someone also send me those list of pin descriptions please?

>Group		:Fungal Growth Engineering and Testing Range
>Location	:Toronto, Ontario, Canada (44x N/79x W)
>Organization	:Fungal Growth Club of Canada
>UUCP Address	: ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!spocom!fungus!larry
>or		: larry@fungus.UUCP
>Ancient Chinese-Canadian Curse: May a 7% tax be on everything you see,
>eat and hear.

How about posting the results of any replies up here.

I am sure there are many interested people. Myself included.

           AtDhVaAnNkCsE,

	                	Andrew.

--
    _--_|\,-----From Townsville in sunny North Queensland      *
   /      \                                                  *   *

Michael.Seales@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Brian Seales) (04/08/91)

In article <q52RZ1w164w@fungus.UUCP>, larry@fungus.UUCP (Larry Ng) writes:
|> mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) writes:
|>
|> >     There are two analog inputs (resistance), correct?  Suppose I connect
|> > a photocell across one and the temperature probe from a microwave oven
|> > across the other; would I then be able to read the room temperature and
|> > light intensity (assuming I've worked out the scaling of values)?
|> >
|> >    Could someone mail me a list of the pin descriptions for the game port?
|> >    Is it possible to OUTPUT anything through the game port?
|>
|> Hey, I was thinking of that too! (Great minds think alike? ;-)

Shouldn't that be "Small minds seldom differ" ??!!??

Michael Seales