[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ...FTP sites I can get Sound Blaster sound files at?

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/09/91)

>         Please post this info. Does anyone know what kind of software
>is available for the SoundBlaster(besides games)? Thanks.
>						BrianPedranti
>						bpp3560@ultb.rit.edu

Here are a couple sites:

kfps-roble6-dynamic.stanford.edu (when you ftp to this site it
    automatically attempts to connect through a number of addresses:
    be patient because it usually works eventually after trying
    as many as a couple of dozen or so):

    --there are several sound directories at this site, and I have
      never quite figured out their arrangement.  It seems that
      every time I logon I find something new I hadn't noticed
      before.  Anyway, if you look around you'll eventually find
      some sound directories.  Try /pub/sound and /pub/msdos.
      The files in /pub/sound/rol are files that can be played
      under windows if you have the fm player for them.  The fm
      player is also available at this site, but I can't remember
      which subdirectory (look for one called "players" I think).
      (You can get this player [fmsound.zip] elsewhere--see below.)
      Files that are "cmf" files can be played with the playcmf.exe
      file that came with your soundblaster.  BTW, be sure and
      download sblaster.zip if you can find it because it contains
      a really good .cmf file called parade.cmf.  This file sounds
      better than anything I've heard--including Wing Commander!
      There are also tons of .snd files (most are zipped into
      .zip files of course).  You can play these on your sound-
      blaster too by using the voc-hdr.exe file with them to convert
      them to .voc files which can then be played with the Voxkit
      routine which came with your soundblaster.  These files
      are digitized music and other stuff.  Cheers.snd is pretty
      good.  Also, I like spaceace.zip and dragon's.zip--they're the
      digitized intro music for the arcade games Space Ace and
      Dragon's Lair.  You'll have to experiment in converting them
      with voc-hdr.exe (this program came with your SB, BTW) because
      it's hard to determine how fast you should play them.  Some
      .snd files I had to convert at 8,000, others had to be
      over 20,000.  This will become apparent once you've converted
      a couple of files.

Other sites:

ccb.ucsf.edu (128.218.1.13) /Pub/Sound_list
garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37) /pc/win3/sound (this is where you can
      get the fm player for .rol files for Windows.  It's called
      fmsound.zip).

Most of the .rol files are very short (2k-6k), so it's easy to
download a bunch of them.  Most, however, are not very impressive.
A couple of my personal favorites are reggae.rol and funky.rol
(of course, I'm a rap freak and these are "rappy").  There are
a couple of good ones that are zipped with fmsound.zip too.

If you have a soundblaster and you don't own a copy of Wing
Commander, then you only have half a soundblaster!

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

I wrote:

>Here are a couple sites:
>
>kfps-roble6-dynamic.stanford.edu (when you ftp to this site it
>    automatically attempts to connect through a number of addresses:
>    be patient because it usually works eventually after trying
>    as many as a couple of dozen or so):
>
>    --there are several sound directories at this site, and I have
>      never quite figured out their arrangement.  It seems that
>      every time I logon I find something new I hadn't noticed
>      before.  Anyway, if you look around you'll eventually find
>      some sound directories...

I have been informed that some of you may need the IP number
for kfps-roble6-dynamic.stanford.edu to access it.  Well, the
site for some reason "floats around" so getting that particular
day's number is sort of hit & miss.  The base number is
36.80.0.138.  But the number can be any number between
36.80.0.138 and 36.80.0.162 (or so).  When I ftp to
kfps-roble6-dynamic.stanford.edu it automatically tries to
connect me to 36.80.0.138, then if that fails it tries
36.80.0.139, and keeps trying consecutive numbers until it
finally arrives at the number du jour.  If often goes up into
the 36.80.0.160's before it connects.

So if you have to use a number--good luck!

SS