[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Duplicating System Disk without Format

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (04/10/91)

In article <7312@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>I have a 5.25" system floppy that I would like to convert to 3.25".
>Unfortunately, the only system I have with both size disks is a clone
>that cannot run the version of DOS on that floppy.

Unless I missed a critical point, the solution is fairly simple.
If you really need the system files on the 3-1/2, that implies that
you have access to a system that has a 3-1/2 drive and runs that version
of DOS.  If that is the case, then format and "sys" a 3-1/2 disk on the
ultimate target system then carry it to the clone with both size disks
and copy the rest of the files.

If the ultimate target machine does not run the version of DOS that is
on the 5-1/4 floppy, then you probably don't really need the system
files on the disk anyway.

If you are trying to copy a system master disk so you can install that
version of DOS on a system that only has a 3-1/2 drive, then you
probably should buy a copy of that version of DOS for that machine ;-).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965