[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Adding a clock to an XT

warrenl@graphics.rent.com (Warren Lieuallen) (04/07/91)

   I've seen ads in the past for a "no-slot clock", to add a
clock/calendar to an XT.  My mother-in-law would like to do
this, but I can no longer find such devices available?  Are
they still made?  Thanks!

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/08/91)

warrenl@graphics.rent.com (Warren Lieuallen) writes:

>    I've seen ads in the past for a "no-slot clock", to add a
> clock/calendar to an XT.  My mother-in-law would like to do
> this, but I can no longer find such devices available?  Are
> they still made?  Thanks!

Check with Radio Shack.  They run $40 or so.  Check the device
before you buy it and make sure you have an available ROM socket
for it, or that it is the same pin setup as your system's ROM.
It will plug into the ROM socket and the system ROM plugs in
on top of it.  It will often work with any ROM in the machine
(sometimes the hard drive controller's, for instance).

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/11/91)

>>    I've seen ads in the past for a "no-slot clock", to add a
>> clock/calendar to an XT.  My mother-in-law would like to do
>> this, but I can no longer find such devices available?  Are
>> they still made?  Thanks!

>Check with Radio Shack.  They run $40 or so.  Check the device
>before you buy it and make sure you have an available ROM socket
>for it, or that it is the same pin setup as your system's ROM.
>It will plug into the ROM socket and the system ROM plugs in
>on top of it.  It will often work with any ROM in the machine
>(sometimes the hard drive controller's, for instance).

I looked in my JDR catalog and sure enough, they
have one for $29.95. It plugs into a ROM slot and
the ROM plugs on top of it. Says its compatible
with MS DOS, Apple II (!) Franklin and Laser (what-
ever they are) computers. Has a 10-year lithium
battery, and keeps track of leap years, leap months(!)
leap hours (!!) and leap seconds (these do exist,
but since the clock doesn't receive WWV I don't
know how it keeps track!)..

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !