[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Who the hell wrote CP/M?

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/16/91)

A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
assumed all along that:

1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
2.  CP/M was written by DRI
3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)

If I am in err, pleae let me know.

Brian

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, Gen DataComm, +1 203 758-1811) (03/16/91)

In article <27478@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
> A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
> system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
> assumed all along that:
>
> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>
> If I am in err, pleae let me know.

You are absolutely right. CP/M WAS based on DEC operating system, though.
Commands like PIP and STAT had identical equivalents under DEC PDP 11s.

-----
Seng-Poh Lee				Work:	lee@gdc.portal.com
Technology Center			...!uunet!portal!gdc!lee
General DataComm Ind. Inc.		Home:	lee%splee.uucp@hsi.com
					...!uunet!hsi!splee!lee
|                   T H I S   S P A C E  F O R  R E N T                   |

rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) (03/17/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

> A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
> system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
> assumed all along that:
>
> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>
> If I am in err, pleae let me know.

You are correct. Gary Killdall, (Intergalactic) Digital Research Inc.
CP/M was loosely based on a DEC PDP-11 OS (I think RSTS) tho.
Rob R.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/17/91)

In article <27478@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>assumed all along that:
>
>1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>
>If I am in err, pleae let me know.

A little tidbit that may be more folklore than fact, is that Digital
Research Inc (DRI) was once known as Intergalactic Digital Research.
Only when they became moderately successful, and deemed the Intergalactic
portion of their name to be silly, did they drop it.  And yes, DRI
is, to my knowledge, completely unrelated to DEC.  DRI is alive and
well selling DR DOS 5.0 and GEM, otherwise known as CP/M :-)

--
Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

As of right now, I'm in charge here now...                  Alexander Haig.
Voodoo Economics, that's what it is, voodoo economics.      George Bush

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/17/91)

In article <27478@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>assumed all along that:

  This is the kind of stuff you argue about ??

>1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.

    Yes

>2.  CP/M was written by DRI

    Well, some/much of the original work was done when he worked at/for intel
but he supposedly couldn't interest them in it so he left at some point to
continue development and marketing himself.

>3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)

  It's not but CP/M is heavily influenced by certain aspects of the PDP
operating systems used on DEC's early minicomputers.

frotz@dri.com (Frotz) (03/20/91)

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

]In article <27478@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
]>A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
]>system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
]>assumed all along that:
]>
]>1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
]>2.  CP/M was written by DRI
]>3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
]>
]>If I am in err, pleae let me know.
]>

]A little tidbit that may be more folklore than fact, is that Digital
]Research Inc (DRI) was once known as Intergalactic Digital Research.
]Only when they became moderately successful, and deemed the Intergalactic
]portion of their name to be silly, did they drop it.  And yes, DRI
]is, to my knowledge, completely unrelated to DEC.  DRI is alive and
]well selling DR DOS 5.0 and GEM, otherwise known as CP/M :-)

It is a little surprising to see that so many people (>1 outside of
DRI) know about the "Intergalactic" prefix...;-)

Yes, DRI is completely unrelated to DEC (Digital Equipment
Corporation) other than the fact that we use MicroVaxen;-)

Yes, DR DOS 5.0 is otherwise known as CP/M, just look at the copyright
dates!-)

Yes, GEM is also known as CP/M, just look at where it is now...;-}

WHAT FOLLOWS IS PURE SPECULATION:

Many of the DRI myths are so well known that it is hard to find anyone
still here, who actually remembers AND is willing to tell!-).
Certainly, Gary will not tell outside of a press interview.

*	There is some talk of Gary's being at Intel, but only a little.

*	There is more talk of his teaching position at the Naval Post
	Graduate School, here in Monterey.  This story is much more
	prevalent.

	*	There are rumors that he had his students do the
		initial prototypes of the OS for a class (or series of
		classes) before starting Intergalactic DRI, but these
		have not been confirmed by any "old-timer" (>8 yrs
		with DRI).

--
John "Frotz" Fa'atuai	frotz@dri.com			(email@domain)
Digital Research, Inc.	uunet!drivax!frotz		(bang!email)

#include <std/disclaimers.h>

bobd@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Dalgleish) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar16.174555.21577@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <27478@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>>system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>>assumed all along that:

>>1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>>2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>>3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)

>>If I am in err, pleae let me know.

>A little tidbit that may be more folklore than fact, is that Digital
>Research Inc (DRI) was once known as Intergalactic Digital Research.

A fact that may be even less interesting is that an early version of
CP/M was written by Dr. Kildall when he worked for Intel.  The system
was called ISIS (and later ISIS-II) and ran on the Microprocessor
Development Systems line of 8080 and 8085 based development stations.
There was a user-contributed-library set of patches that would allow
CP/M programs to run on top of ISIS-II by changing several of the system
vectors to remap filenames, and operation numbers.

The critical architectural concepts of separate BIOS and operating
system, system vectoring, and filename spaces (drive letters, filename
formats, etc.) were all present in the ISIS system.  The external
interface looked similar to the Digital Equipment Corporation operating
system family structures: filename formats, drive specifications,
command line arguments and flags.

Even more amusing is the guy at Motorola who wrote their first 68000
development system software.  He was so bemused by the DEC approach to
doing things that a typical command line looked like:

,,,,PASCAL.EXE ,,DEMO,SRC,/LK=NO,,LST

(note that there are no typos in the above line).  The first three
commas indicated that the standard search path, account number, group
number could be used.  The fourth comma was required to indicate
something that I now forget.  The rest of the commas are also required,
and the comma separating the DEMO and SRC was there to indicate that it
was a Pascal source program, and that the standard suffix of .PAS was
not used.

Note also that I told Motorola in no uncertain terms that putting that
kind of abortion onto a lovely processor like the 68000 was
unconscionable, and that we would not use the development system as a
consequence.  Motorola was not into customer service in those days ;-)

Sorry about the harangue -- I just needed to remind people that I do a
really good Inspector Luger impersonation %-)
--
-- * * * Remember: I before E except after DALGL * * *--
Bob Dalgleish		bobd@zaphod.UUCP

jedelen@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Jeff Edelen) (03/28/91)

In article <94uwy2w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) writes:
>jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>
>> A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>> system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>> assumed all along that:
>>
>> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>>
>> If I am in err, pleae let me know.
>>
>You are correct. Gary Killdall, (Intergalactic) Digital Research Inc.
>CP/M was loosely based on a DEC PDP-11 OS (I think RSTS) tho.
>Rob R.
>> Brian

I always thought it was based on TOPS.  I've never used TOPS, but I have used
RSTS, and can't believe it's based on that.

--jeff

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/28/91)

jedelen@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Jeff Edelen) writes:

>In article <94uwy2w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) writes:
>>jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>
>>> A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>>> system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>>> assumed all along that:
>>>
>>> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>>> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>>> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>>>
>>> If I am in err, pleae let me know.
>>>
>>You are correct. Gary Killdall, (Intergalactic) Digital Research Inc.
>>CP/M was loosely based on a DEC PDP-11 OS (I think RSTS) tho.
>>Rob R.
>>> Brian

>I always thought it was based on TOPS.  I've never used TOPS, but I have used
>RSTS, and can't believe it's based on that.

Sure it is.  CP/M has the DIR cmd, PIP, device:filename (admittedly, the
device names are all single character unlike RSTS), "/" as the switch
character, filename.ext, etc.

Of course, this belongs in alt.folklore.computers, though...

dambrose@dri.com (David Ambrose) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.053026.27936@slate.mines.colorado.edu> jedelen@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Jeff Edelen) writes:
>In article <94uwy2w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) writes:
>>jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>
>>> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>>> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>>> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>>>
>>> If I am in err, pleae let me know.
>>>
>>You are correct. Gary Killdall, (Intergalactic) Digital Research Inc.
>>CP/M was loosely based on a DEC PDP-11 OS (I think RSTS) tho.
>
>I always thought it was based on TOPS.  I've never used TOPS, but I have used
>RSTS, and can't believe it's based on that.

	CP/M was loosely based on DEC's RT-11 Operating system (version 2).
Later versions of RT-11 had a more humane interface.

	Both systems are decidedly minimalist. :-)

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc                 dambrose@pan.dri.com

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.053026.27936@slate.mines.colorado.edu> jedelen@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Jeff Edelen) writes:
>In article <94uwy2w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) writes:
>>jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>
>>> A friend and I got in a massive argument over who wrote the CP/M operating
>>> system.  He claimed that it was "DEC" but I stated that it was DRI.  I
>>> assumed all along that:
>>>
>>> 1.  CP/M was written by Gary Kildall.
>>> 2.  CP/M was written by DRI
>>> 3.  DRI is NOT related to DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
>>>
>>> If I am in err, pleae let me know.
>>>
>>You are correct. Gary Killdall, (Intergalactic) Digital Research Inc.
>>CP/M was loosely based on a DEC PDP-11 OS (I think RSTS) tho.
>>Rob R.
>>> Brian
>
>I always thought it was based on TOPS.  I've never used TOPS, but I have used
>RSTS, and can't believe it's based on that.
>
>--jeff
Try RSX-11M

TOPS-10, 20 entirely different.

--

Jeremy_Harding@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Jeremy Harding) (04/05/91)

FSC-Control: EID:f699 16857164
I speak with authority. I have used TOPS-10 for 8 years as a systems
programmer, and CP/M for 5-6 years. I have used RSX11M for 5 years, and have
seen RT-11 in use as well.  CP/M looks like an early offshoot of TOPS-10 (
TOPS-20 was quite quite different), however the resemblance to RT-11 is also
quite close: DEC was aiming for a compatible interface even then.  The idea
that every command was a program was certainly more akain to RSX11M than to
TOPS-10 or RT-11 (TOPS and I think RT-11 both had a command table, and the
RUN command was used to start an arbitary program), however this was a
sensible idea on a smaller machine (it was avoided under TOPS-10 to speed up
command interpretation). TOPS-10 provided a virtual address space mostly
devoid of operating system routines which looked very like a small computer:
we used to joke that a DECsystem-10 was a 100 RT-11 systems in a concrete
mixer.  I say that CP/M was an early offshoot of TOPS because the more
developed TOPS system provided 'ersatz devices' and PATH concepts more akin
to MS-DOS.

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
 * Origin: TONY'S BBS !!! Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND. (3:770/101.0)
SEEN-BY: 770/101 605 771/110 150 160 170 180 772/20 200 774/10
FSC-Control: PATH: 770/101 772/20 771/110

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (04/11/91)

In article <9104061042.AA71762@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org> Jeremy_Harding@f101.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Jeremy Harding) writes:
>FSC-Control: EID:f699 16857164
>I speak with authority. I have used TOPS-10 for 8 years as a systems
>programmer, and CP/M for 5-6 years. I have used RSX11M for 5 years, and have
>seen RT-11 in use as well.  CP/M looks like an early offshoot of TOPS-10 (

I am glad that someone in this business can speak with authority.  I
would not presume to do so.  When I can't remember something, my
daughter tells me that "Alzheimer's disease is great, dad.  You meet new
friends every day."  I worked for Ben Gurley at DEC on the PDP-1, and
recall that the machine was sold without any software---somebody at MIT
(can't remember name) wrote a compiler for it.  My recollection is that
the PDP-10 is a derivative of the PDP-6, and that this in turn was
preceded by a one-off PDP-3 experiment.  These were Ben Gurley's
designs.  He died in 1963.  The PDP-11 was drawn up by a committee---I
was a junior member of that committee; this was in 1969.  There was an
o/s running on a PDP-6 in the DEC mill in the late 60's that, I think,
was the precursor of TOPS-10.  As I recall, it had things found in CP/M
and RSX such as "pip."  My comments are based on recollections of 11-13
years ago, when I used TOPS-10, RSX, RSTS, and CP/M.  I think the last I
used these was around 1982, and have long since forgotten command
details, just the impression that CP/M seemed most like RSX.

The real answer will have to come from someone involved with hatching up
CP/M, which I wasn't.