[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Freemacs or MG2a or Epsilon or GNU?

howcome@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Hakon Lie) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr08.110826.19865@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:

   N.B.  I've got nothing to do with Lugaru.  I'm just a very satisfied
   Epsilon-user.  When you think I didn't point out the bad sides of Epsilon,
   that's just because I don't know any.  This product really deserves you
   attention.  It's the best editor I know.

Ughh, ever tried the real thing - GNU-emacs? It has a million features
which makes it better, too many to mention in one posting. One feature
I could't live without is the undo facility. But it runs on few
laptops..

-h&kon
--
					       _____
Hakon W Lie 				      /

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (04/10/91)

In <HOWCOME.91Apr9022713@media-lab.media.mit.edu> howcome@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Hakon Lie) writes:

>In article <1991Apr08.110826.19865@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) writes:
>
>   N.B.  I've got nothing to do with Lugaru.  I'm just a very satisfied
>   Epsilon-user.  When you think I didn't point out the bad sides of Epsilon,
>   that's just because I don't know any.  This product really deserves you
>   attention.  It's the best editor I know.
>
>Ughh, ever tried the real thing - GNU-emacs? It has a million features
>which makes it better, too many to mention in one posting. One feature
>I could't live without is the undo facility. But it runs on few
>laptops..

Yes, I did. (At this very moment I'm using it (on HP-UX))
These 'million better features' are really a bit exagerated.  Epsilon may
come from Lugaru with less features than GNU-Emacs, but since the extension-
language is more easier (personal opinion!) -- C instead of Lisp, I have no
trouble writing the functions I need.
And about the undo, Epsilon has both an undo AND a redo.
Not running on a laptop is the price you pay for these zillions of
features... :-)

BTW, you do know what emacs is supposed to mean:
Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping? ;-)

>-h&kon

Ernst

P.S. I don't consider GNU-emacs a bad product, I really enjoy using it,
but I also think Epsilon is better.
--
	Qualitas qualitatem inducit. Semper ego qualitatem.

popa
iret

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.085413.17955@cs.ruu.nl> hnridder@cs.ruu.nl

Ernst de Ridder writes:

   BTW, you do know what emacs is supposed to mean:
   Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping? ;-)

I was told it meant (with reference to its command structure):

  Escape Meta Alt Control Shift

Christopher Brewster